Bad experience with Talltines.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad experience with Talltines.

I ordered a new Talltines recurve back in March.
    Black and white ebony, checkered grip, all the bells and whistles.

Well this guy Arnette bought the company not too long ago and brought it to Kansas. He kept on giving me exuses on materials and what not. And to keep the story short, he re-did my bow 3 times
    I never gave him a due date or pressured in any way.

Well, after the 8 month wait. And a couple of finish coats before sending me the bow, he says he cant take it anymore and he’s sending me a refund. (I had already paid in full)
    Seriously... just quit????

Theres a bunch of other bows out there. Im sad for the previous owner that took many years and many good bows to make a name. And this guy is going to throw it out the window in a few years.

Thats my experience. And my advise... dont waste your time with them.

It is my understanding that the black and white ebony takes some special or maybe prolonged seasoning while fabricating the bows. I was told a story about a new Blacktail in the same wood that kept being delayed as the wood was not yet right to finish the bow. I have no ideas what problems he ran into. It could even be that the ebony was ruining the edge on his cutting tools and it just became too frustrating for him. I'm sorry to hear of your problems. I have been keeping an ear open for any tales of woe due to the ownership change.

Comment

B&W ebony is a pain in the butt to work. It's a beautiful wood but prone to checking very easily. Very tedious wood to work. You can have it all nice and shaped then spray sealer on it. Come back the next day and have tiny splits show up in the wood. I have made one bow from it though I love the beauty of the wood I hate working it.

Comment

I have a friend of mine who has had nearly the same experience, and I don’t believe black and white ebony was in his build at all!

Bisch

Comment

I had a big chunk of ebony for many years. Checking...yes. Ended up about giving it away.

Comment

I have a b&w ebony timberghost that is 6or7yo now and is still going strong. That being said the original bow he made for me had a failure.

Comment

I kind of figured things were changing when he refused to refinish mine (older model) last year.
              All good things come to an end.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
              Last edited by DRT; 12-04-2020, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Unreal!

I honestly thought he was playing when he told me.
                I couldnt believe it.

Comment

B/w ebony is no different than any other wood when working with it other than like most other dense woods it requires a longer drying/aging time.
                  If it develops checks after finishing it wasn’t dry enough to begin with.
                  I’ve built dozens with b/w ebony with no issues. But I only deal with reputable suppliers!

Comment

I dont believe it had anything to do with it being BW ebony.
                    One of the times he re-did the riser.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                      B/w ebony is no different than any other wood when working with it other than like most other dense woods it requires a longer drying/aging time.
                      If it develops checks after finishing it wasn’t dry enough to begin with.
                      I’ve built dozens with b/w ebony with no issues. But I only deal with reputable suppliers!
                      I told him to get a Primal Tech.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X