No announcement yet.

5/16 or 11/32 Shafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I buy tapered cedar from Wapiti archery. The are 11/32 tapered to 5/16 at the nock. Hard to beat them for quality and consistency. I buy the prefinished shafts and fletch.

Comment

All great info. Do y’all use self Nocks or taper and glue on Nocks ?

Comment

I'm going with Hickory I think. 11/32nds. I will put some weight up front and shoot them in 3D.

Gary

Comment

I do both, self nock and glue on nocks. I have a gauge that lets me file the center of the nock end and then I glue in a footing using darker wood and then turn the shaft a file the nock in again. It looks nice and beefs up the self nock area. I also use the gauge for filing in the point end for my stone points.

Comment

Photo
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice Jon !

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Stewart View Post
                Photo

Those look great!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The really "great" cedar shafts of the past were the Acme Premiums. They are out there, but are like mountain lions, you know they are there-but never see them.

Most 5/16 cedar shafts only go to about 50 pounds in spine.

I would avoid cedar shafts unless you find some source for the Acme, older good ones. Wapiti archery I have used and are about the best available today in cedar. I have had some from other folks that are just tomato stake material...

There are other options. Surewood shafts are fir wood and are top shelf from what I have used. Fir will also give you a tad more overall mass weight which is good in a hunting arrow. Biggest advantage is they are straight and have good straight grain.

Here is a link to a spine chart that can give you an idea on the spine compared to an aluminum arrow. If you are new to wood arrows, they are spined with deflection that is in pounds.

Wood arrows shoot really good if they are quality, but will have you pulling your hair out if they will not stay straight and are poor quality wood. Just ask Bisch...Sorry could not help myself LOL!

Longbows & Short Shots,

Jeff Schulz

Last edited by Dragonheart; 07-16-2019, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Yeah, but those wood arrows burn so pretty!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                      You can see and feel the difference....
                      That's what she sai... nevermind

Comment

I was just fletching up some cedars yesterday that are probably 20 years old. I dipped and crested them back then and had them stashed away.
                        I shoot carbons with my takedown longbow quite often and will probably use them for this years Montana elk/deer hunt. They do shoot straight and I may have some longer shots.

Comment

Have always hunted with wood arrows. Find someone to mentor you, like Jeffro, or someone. Someone who knows their stuff. You'll appreciate it more.

Comment

Call and talk to Neal at Hildebrand Arrows (866) 586-0232. He has forgotten more about wood shafts than most of us will ever know. Great company great service and great products.

Comment

Go with tapered doug fir. Alaska yellow cedar is also good. Sitka spruce is kind of light but durable, ,more so than cedar.

Comment

Working...
                              X