Traditional beginner advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional beginner advice

Ok guys.......I've wanted to for awhile, and I'm finally gonna do it......I'm gonna buy a traditional bow. My question is.....which is better to learn on, a recurve or a longbow ? How much can I expect to pay for a decent beginners bow ? Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys......Rick

Rick, you should be able to get a good starter bow for $100 - $150. You will want to start with a low poundage (say 40#-45#) to develop good form and release so a cheap production bow such as a bear or martin would work just fine. If you get hooked on trad you will eventually buy a custom bow that fits you. Tuning is just as important with trad gear as with a compound. I would suggest getting with some trad shooters in your area who can help you along and take out a lot of the learning curve headaches. A good place to meet some of these guys is at local 3D shoots.

Good luck and welcome to the dark side,

Bisch

Comment

I don't know if Wichita Falls has a trad group or not. The closest I know of for sure is Abilene. Memphis has a trad shoot every so often, but I don't know exactly where that is in relation to you. Check on the TBOT web site for traditional clubs near you.
      If you can find a group of trad shooters, get with them. Most trad shooters will gladly let you shoot their bows, trying to find something that works for you. If you can get with some other trad shooters, you will be way ahead of the game in the learning curve.
      Good luck and welcome.

Comment

Ebay is a great place to find a beginner bow for not alot of cash. But be warned, once you start shootin trad, your wheelie bow starts to look too easy.
        Also, check out Tradgang.com. Those guys help ALOT. Also, don't hesitate to ask a bunch of questions on here.

Comment

What they said, plus get a recurve they are a little easier than longbows.

Comment

I'd recommend finding an archery instructor, and signing up for 5 1/2 hour lessons. Most instructors have bows to lend for classes, which should be very low poundage (30-35 ish) so you can focus 100% on form, stance, release and not on holding the bow back. The last 6" of draw are very different than pulling a compound with 80% letoff. Form is 100% what trad archery is all about, and that will kill 2 birds with 1 stone- allow you to start with a lower poundage bow, and learn to shoot correctly instead of having to un-learn bad habits later on (I can write a book on bad archery habits).

Like a compound shooter who went trad told me, "Remember, the only nut you can adjust is the one holding the bow."

Personally, I like a recurve but that's a personal preference. I've got a fellow in our club who shoots a longbow and Howard will out-shoot 90% of the compounders at any unmarked distance.

Comment

We have a traditional shoot every year here at Holiday Creek..... There are a number of guys in the club that shoot the stick and string. Well, the journey begins.....this should be interesting........

Comment

Hey guys, I am also considering putting down the rifle & picking up the recurve. I was a good compound bow shooter in 2008 (never bagged a deer but enjoyed my bow). I ended up selling my very nice Diamond bow to a young man who had time to use it more than I did.

Well, I am getting the bug again & am thinking about going recurve. My issue is a place to practice 30 minutes a day for say, the first 90 days. Do you guys all practice in your yard?

I have a small yard in a suburban setting with kids all around. I don't feel safe shooting toward a fence with kids/dogs on the other side (thinking of The Golden Rule!). I thought about practicing in an abandoned field or my garage, but would a normal garage be big enough to practice well? I mean, would short shots be the same as long shots, for building a set of memories for your muscles?

Comment

I don't know why but the recurve is a little easier to learn on, or it seems so with all the people I've helped through the years.

Mc Clan, You can open the garage door and shoot into the garage for a little longer shot and be safe. Form knows no distance, it needs to be good at all distances. But once you get better you will want to shoot farther.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                    Mc Clan, You can open the garage door and shoot into the garage for a little longer shot and be safe. Form knows no distance, it needs to be good at all distances. But once you get better you will want to shoot farther.
                    That is the best idea I have heard yet! Thanks!

Comment

My two cents.

Start close, 10 yds or less, and don't back up until you start grouping consistantly.

Pick a spot on you target (aim, gap, instinktive, whichever you choose) and keep the same "aim spot" until you start grouping.

Kind of like sighting in a scope, you don't adjust the cross hairs till you get a group, wherever that group may be.

Comment

Closer is better to help your body get accustomed to using new muscles and toning them. Form and consistency are your biggest hurdle to overcome. Distance comes easier when you are consistent with your draw, anchor and finally a good crisp clean release. 5 Yards is a safe distance to work on form as you are going to concentrate more on what your body is doing with relation to the bow. This means aiming is secondary at this point in time. CLOSER is safer!

Comment

Working...
                        X