Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

PSA for the sharpening challenged!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sharpening challenged! I freely admit it, and deal with it. I won’t try to sharpen knives, because I just screw them all up.

I have learned to sharpen my 2-blade broadheads. I am very picky about my broadheads and want them shaving sharp. After trying nearly every kind of sharpener made, I finally came up with a way that works well using a KME Knife sharpener. It is a very slow procedure, and I absolutely dread sharpening broadheads......to the point that I will put it off till I just don’t have any more to shoot.

Fast forward to today. Totally by accident, I have discovered the holy grail for 2-blade broadhead sharpening!!!!!

A few days ago, I was perusing (that means reading for all you rednecks out there 🤣&#129315 the TBH classifieds when I came across a Chef’s Choice EdgeSelect 120 electric knife sharpener for sale. I got to thinking I really needed something to sharpen my kitchen knives with, so I googled this product for reviews. All the reviews looked good, so I bought it.

It came yesterday. I got to playing with it today, and sharpened all my kitchen knives in no time. They are not professionally sharp, but way better than the dull that they were before. I was happy!

While doing the kitchen knives I was looking at the machine, and thought “Huh, that looks like it might work for broadhead blades.”

Not expecting much because of other methods of electric sharpening I have tried in the past, I got out one of my dull Magnus Stingers, and gave it a whirl.

All I can say is “WOWSER!!!!!!!”

I ended up sharpening 10 broadheads in 30 minutes, Stingers and German Kinetics, and every one of them shave as well or better than any I have ever sharpened before!

So, if you have a hard time sharpening 2-blade heads, and struggle the way I used to, you might want to give this product a try. I never dreamed it could be this easy!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Those are good units for sure and with a couple of uses you should be able to get your kitchen knives professionally sharp (that is a unit that some commercial kitchens actually use). Its not the fastest thing in the world but its way faster than a stone and totally fool proof. Don’t forget to empty the trapdoor in the bottom every once in a while and use the dressing tool thats behind stage 3.

Comment

I will have to try again...

I have one of those units and I use them for my kitchen knives... comes in handy keeping my deboning and filet knives sharp.

But I was pretty sure I couldnt get my broadheads in there due to the ferule thickness and short distance of edge from the thick ferrule. Maybe it was a different machine I tried before though.

What I have found that I like, because I still stink at freehand filing and filing a concave blade is a pain, is this guy.

I wouldnt believe how simple and razor shaving sharp this thing does on all broadheads, but its crazy, cheap, and small.

I have even touched up a havalon blade with it.

Best part is you can keep one in your archery box/bag. So get one for feild touchups... works as easy as electric one.... just pull it and let it do the work.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the tip Bisch. Do you know if there is enough room to get the blade of a glue-on head all the way in? The ferrule on my Simmons gets in the way on the sharpeners I have tried.
        -Eric

Comment

Ferrule would not fit. I had to take the blades out of the ferrule to sharpen them. It won't work on heads that you cannot remove the blade from the ferrule. I used vise grips to hold the blade while sharpening.

Scott, I have a couple of the Rada sharpeners, but they do not get the heads as sharp as I want mine to be. I do agree that the Rada sharpener is a great tool to have in your kit or pack to take on hunts with you.

Bisch
          Last edited by Bisch; 06-06-2018, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            Ferrule would not fit. I had to take the blades out of the ferrule to sharpen them. It won't work on heads that you cannot remove the blade from the ferrule.

Bisch
            I was just about to ask if you removed the blades after I reread what you posted and mention of kinetics and magnus, which have that set screw/ferule.

So I would thinnk the blades would be tough to hold since the grinder is still recessed from the face. Are you using a pair of pliers, or free holding with your fingers on the other side of the edge?

Comment

You saw that before I edited above. I used a pair of vise grips to hold the blade. It worked really good, but the only pair I had was a really big pair. I will go buy a little vise grip for this in the future.

Bisch

Comment

Do we just send them to you with a return postage box?

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                  Do we just send them to you with a return postage box?

You can do that, if you include $1000/blade for handling fees! 🤣🤣🤣

Nope! I hate sharpening my own broadheads. There are very few, and rare instances where I would do it for others!!!

Bisch

Comment

Same model we have.................

Comment

Bisch, what broad heads do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                        Bisch, what broad heads do you use?

My goto broadheads are German Kinetics, both 1 1/8” and 1 1/2”, depending on the target species. I also always carry a few pig broadheads in my quiver. Those are mostly Magnus Stingers. I also have some Eclipse and some Wasp Traditional heads that I use every now and then. Being well tuned, I have not found a 150gr head that will not fly well. I tend to stick with the GK’s because they are so tough, and I can get them really sharp when I resharpen them. The Stingers and Eclipse are also easier for me to sharpen.

But, with this new sharpener, I’m thinking ease of sharpening won’t be a factor in my selection any more, as this thing really gets the blades super sharp!!!

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 06-06-2018, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I actually like sharpening knives and Broadheads kind of have a knack for it . I use either tiny fine file or sharpening steels , or ceramic rods depending how dull the blade is and I carry them in my hunting bag.

Comment

Originally posted by R.Armendariz View Post
                            I actually like sharpening knives and Broadheads kind of have a knack for it . I use either tiny fine file or sharpening steels , or ceramic rods depending how dull the blade is and I carry them in my hunting bag.

You are lucky if you have the “knack”! I can’t sharpen a butter knife to cut hot butter sufficiently, and I really struggle to get my broadheads as sharp as I want them to be to hunt with!!!

Bisch

Comment

2 blade do a great job on the RADA.

Comment

Working...
                              X