No announcement yet.

Hunting Accuracy/Proficiency ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went and tried it but we only have 6" plates. Shouldn't really matter as I'm aiming at a point in the middle of it right? Well I didn't do as well as I thought I'd do but I did find a flaw in my draw that once I noticed it and corrected it my groups got a little better. The best part was after I'd been outside for a while my 4 year old daughter comes outside with her bow and the arrows her and I made for her.

She's standing there in her pink shirt and light up shoes holding that blaze orange fiberglass bow and arrows with matching fletchings and says " Dad, I sure wish I could shoot too.". Well honestly, you know what happened. Dad stop shooting and Olivia started. Makes my heart happy.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      Sounds like I’m missing a good one over there! Too much drama over there for me to even log on!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      That's if you CAN login over there. The software for that board seems like circa 1990's!

And yes...much drama. I just lurk there and find it interesting sometimes. Lots of arrow slinging between members

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
        Went and tried it but we only have 6" plates. Shouldn't really matter as I'm aiming at a point in the middle of it right? Well I didn't do as well as I thought I'd do but I did find a flaw in my draw that once I noticed it and corrected it my groups got a little better. The best part was after I'd been outside for a while my 4 year old daughter comes outside with her bow and the arrows her and I made for her.

She's standing there in her pink shirt and light up shoes holding that blaze orange fiberglass bow and arrows with matching fletchings and says " Dad, I sure wish I could shoot too.". Well honestly, you know what happened. Dad stop shooting and Olivia started. Makes my heart happy.

Richard.
        Of course! Up and coming hunting partner right there!

Comment

Well I started to shoot this earlier. Shot a few warm up shots then got to thinking about the arrows I'm building for my Widow. Next thing I know I'm trying different head weights, bare shaft testing and adjusting my brace height for my new arrows. By the time I was done my arms and back muscles were done in and I went out and worked on a deer stand. Drank a couple beers. Then decided I've gotta get this done before dark.

Granted my paper plate is only 8&3/8ths inches. Outer circle is only 6 inches. But you do with what you have some days.

Shot it. Now I'm really whooped. Good thing is my finger is handling the shooting well and I think I can start shooting more arrows per day and get built back up again.

Two brain farts with arrows off the target. One way off. Way to big of a group but I'll have to live with it. Tomorrow I'm gonna try it at 15. That's my limit on game range. Good call Rick and good shooting y'all.

Think my score was 67.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Gary, that's darn good considering everything you had going on, and doing with your setup.

Rick

Comment

Most of my being off is form flaws most days. By the time I shot my third set of five I was shaking a little. I let down a few times and used the hose on the barking dogs behind the fence from me. But I've got a ways to go to get back to shooting well.

Comment

Gary, idk how you came up with 67????

4x3=12
                7x4=28
                7x5=35
                2x-2=-4

Total=71

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 02-17-2018, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                  Gary, that's darn good considering everything you had going on, and doing with your setup.

Rick
                  Gary,

Isn't your widow in the 50#+ range?

Do you have a lighter bow to work out that injured finger?

I'm probably the big wuss on this board, but I find light weight bows more pleasurable to shoot. My heaviest is my 47# Omega longbow, but seems I end up shooting the 42# Tradtech ILF the most. And when form goes south, out comes the Sage at 30#!

I take solace in the fact that many a tournament have been won with 30 pounders and natives have taken a few critters with light self bows. The secret to trad is just getting close.

Todd
                  Last edited by twillgo; 02-18-2018, 04:11 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

One beer too many?

Comment

Gary, idk how you came up with 67????

4x3=12
                      7x4=28
                      7x5=35
                      2x-2=-4

Total=71

Bisch

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      One beer too many?

I was so disgusted with my shooting I didn't pay too close attention.

Comment

So 9" plate. Should be about the size of a whitetails lungs.

I aim for the heart on deer so if I aim at the center of the plate and shoot 4.5" under I will miss the deer low. Not a problem.

If I shoot 4.5 inches left or right I am still in the lungs OK.

If I shoot 4.5 inches high I am in the lungs still OK.

The problem lies if I shoot 4.5" high which is not a bad shot at 20 yds and the deer moves 4.5" or MORE I am going to be out of the kill. Same for a left or right shot.

So yes to the question if an archer can shoot within a 9" circle every time can he kill a STATIONARY deer.

But since deer move ALOT and OFTEN I never shoot at deer over 12 yds.

Hogs are in trouble at 20 yds.

Comment

I think a reasonable minimum is 6" circle at 20 yards so that you have a little room for when sh** happens. Things like nerves, deer took a step, maybe clipped a branch or misjudged yardage slightly for my fellow gap shooters.

No I do not think 9" circle at 20 is an acceptable minimum. We owe it to the animals to become as proficient as possible. Realistically a guy could start shooting a recurve now and become 6" circle proficient by deer season.

Comment

Originally posted by ChadMR82 View Post
                            Realistically a guy could start shooting a recurve now and become 6" circle proficient by deer season.
                            That’s not very realistic at all!!! I’ve seen guys that have been shooting 20yrs that can’t shoot 6” consistently at 20yds. Some are very proficient hunters because they only shoot critters at 10-15yds; or whatever distance that they can hit what they are aiming at most all the time.

It all comes back to ethics and common sense! There are folks out there who do stupid stuff with any weapon, and also sh** happens once in a while.

Rick started this thread to try to get folks to realistically look at their own shooting, and make good decisions while hunting.

Bisch

Comment

ChadMR82, I do agree with you that 9” is not acceptable at any distance!!! As hunters, we need to know what distances we can make the shot, and have the patience to not take low percentage shots!

Bisch

Comment

ChadMR82, I do agree with you that 9” is not acceptable at any distance!!! As hunters, we need to know what distances we can make the shot, and have the patience to not take low percentage shots!

Bisch

I agree we should all strive for better accuracy than 9", but where tests are concerned you have to draw the line somewhere, and we both know there are some very good, and very sensible about their abilities hunters out there, who would struggle to pass the paper plate test.

"IF" it were on a hunting place I owned, or otherwise managed, I'd make everyone take the test before allowing them to go out. Not the full 20 arrows. Just a 5 arrow test with a minimum score of 15 and the scoring format I laid out earlier with the minus 2 for a miss.

If those individuals could not pass the test at 20, then I'd move them up, and keep moving them up (within reason) until they could, and that's the distance they would hunt from.

I would also count their arrows taken to the field, and examine them before going out. If they come back in with fewer arrows, or bloody arrows, they better have something to show for it, or have a good, and provable explanation for it.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X