Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Cape Buffalo with a longbow. Let the adventure begin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations

Comment

And just like that, the solar powered red light turns on and a dim redness appears below me overlooking a hole dug out by bush pigs chasing a concoction of brown sugar, corn and dog food. During the day in the mornings after putting the bait out the day before, it looks as though a small munition ordinance went off where the pigs have rooted for every last kernel available.
      The first night, I sat from 5:45pm to 3:00am. The first pig showed up not long after 9:30 or so, only to stop just shy of the red light and out of my sight, turn and scary off into the darkness. Then again at midnight a pair did the same, skirting around the light trying to catch my wind, only this time sticking around for the next 2 hours toying with me, rummaging around in the darkness below my stand causing my eyes to play tricks on my mind before leaving out for the night.

Tonight we went all out. Multiple piles of dung burning leaving smoke drifting thru the creek bottom, my “African” ozonics hanging next to me (tin can with holes poked thru the sides for air flow and wired to the tree with zebra dung waiting to be lit when the time gets right), black clothes that have hung over a smoldering fire the last several hours to take in the sweet aroma of a campfire, and to top it off, not one but TWO “American” ozonics hanging over head I bummed from my friends in camp. I have no doubt based on pictures the last several nights between the rain storms, plus all those compiled in the many days before my arrival that the pig or pigs will show up, I just hope and pray it’s earlier rather than later and tonight the scent will not be an issue.

So as the daylight around me fades and the sky becomes black, the frogs along the creek beside me are beginning to serenade me and leave a feel only Africa can give, I will sit in the dark looking at the small red glow below me, hoping that one of these seemingly immortal creatures which I call ghosts (otherwise known as bush pigs) will come out of the darkness and into the light long enough to give me a chance to let an arrow fly.

Will let you know what the night brings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck on the bush pig.
        They are a special animal that is a real accomplishment for a bow hunter.

Comment

Tuned in. Hoping your arrow finds one this hunt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Most nerve wrecking, intense hunt I’ve ever been on. The big boat we were after came in at 9:30 just to the edge of the light, then turned and left with my heart in tow. If he’s have waited a couple minutes he could’ve had my guts too because I was so sick at my stomach I thought they were going to come out!
            1 am rolled around and a pig skirted the outside of the light slowly and nerve came in, only giving me a glimpse. At 1:30 out of no where, the boar appeared again and over the next hour came into the light 3 times never giving me a look at anything but his head, then backing out and circling me. Finally, he committed and came in to the corn and as soon as I had an inch of shoulder visible, the arrow was gone. The boar ran straight back to where he’d come from and piled up maybe 65 yards or so from the shot. I was honestly more shook up over that dang pig then I was the buffalo!!
            I promise to get some pics up as soon as I get service where they will load. 37 hours over 4 separate sits in the pitch black of night all for a dang pig, but man was it ever worth it!

Comment

Fantastic Shiloh! Super congrats!

Comment

Way to go! Congratulations !

Last edited by DRT; 09-10-2018, 08:08 PM.

Comment

By the way, hunting pigs is always a good hunt. You just shot the one that is arguably the toughest to get with a bow.

Comment

Comment

Nice. Congratulations again.

Comment

You are most definitely da man, Shiloh!!!

Comment

Wow! What a hunt!!!!

Congrats,

Bisch

Comment

Sweet! What a hunt to be on.

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment