Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This would be a good "Sticky" thread.

Comment

chrisk, I'm not going to the shot out but I appreciates the offer!

Well I got my weight tubes in from 3rivers. I ordered the 5gpi and the 8gpi tubes. With the 5s my arrows come out to 570 grains and with the 8s 654 grains. I really like the 570 grain arrows and I think I found my winning combo.

Side note: The 8gpi weight tubes had fairly thick walls and the wall was not even. I only cut one tube but this is what the end looked like.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Stand Shot2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	23819729

Comment

you really do need to bareshaft test those arrows, per O.L. Adcocks method to check spine. Feathers will overcome imperfections in arrow flight. This will show up when you shoot broadheads, esp if your feathers get wet!

I'd bet that 29" 55/75's with 125 gr points out of a 58# bow are too stiff.

I shoot GT35/55's, 30" ,100gr brass insert, 200gr point out of a 57# hybrid longbow, arrows weigh 580gr and shoot 165fps. They will group in three inches at twenty yards ...right with feathered shafts. For hogs I use aquarium tubing, full length, which brings the total weight to 720grs!!
        troy

Comment

Hey Troy, ya shot any spotted deer lately.

Comment

Here's that crestor I'm talking about. This one will give you the cleanest lines. I just don't know where to get them from. Go to www.outdoorcore.com if you're interested and ask "Slingblade" where he got his. Or www.clearforkarchery.com and ask James. *Clearfork has gone out of business, but I believe they still have the website. Slingblade got one and then James liked it so got him one as well. Zero wobble as far as I could tell. Unlike the ones that use a chuck and a cradle.

Comment

DTala, I here what you're saying and that's why I'm confused on the results. A left tear indicates weak spine and I was getting a 3”+ with a 220 grain head and it went away with a 100grain head. I’ve been tuning arrows to compounds for 20+ years and good arrow flight is good arrow flight. I haven’t shot trade since the 70’s but that’s why I posted this, it just doesn’t add up according to what I’ve read.

I’m making 6 more arrows up right now, waiting for the glue pot to heat up. I’ll leave 3 of them bare and see what happens.

Comment

Patiently awaiting professional input!

Comment

Am I a true blond or what?...

Comment

That's OK Tracy I'm a blond too so I knew just what you meant!

Comment

OK, I shot some bare shafts. This was only at 11 or 12 yards because that's all I can get indoors. I know it would be better at 15+ but this should at least give a hint. Good? or too short of a distance to tell the story? What do yall think?

I shot six rounds of six, 3 fletched and 3 bare.

Name:	pig anatomy.jpg
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	24720663

Name:	James Lewis 2 resize.JPG
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	24720664
                      Last edited by Cotton; 02-01-2007, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Cotton, I'd say it looks good, but I'd want to try it more at twenty yards.

Trad bows are different to tune than compounds mainly because most are not cut to center, so your shaft has to flex around the arrow plate, unlike a compound. Two bows of identical weight can shoot different shafts because of the closeness to center cut..or the difference in the amount the arrow has to flex around the bow. The more center cut the bow is the more forgiving of spine issues it will be...much like compounds. And carbons are another twist to the game because they are soooo stiff compared to wood and alum.

So if your bow is cut very close to center you can use a wider varience in spines and still get good arrow flight..clear as mud???
                        troy

tracy, ain't shot none in bout...three days er so!!!!

Comment

Clear as mud!

I plan on taking it to twenty this weekend to make sure. Thanks for the info and I'll let ya know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                          X