No announcement yet.

Shooting to fatigue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been giving this a little thought. When I switched from 40# to 50# I did so with new limbs. I wasn't about to swap them back and forth, so I just jumped in. The first day, I shot maybe 10 shots... within a couple weeks it got easier. But once the strength was there, I needed to work on form again.

Now, how would I do it now? I think I might try incorporating the heavier bow using interval training.

Something like every 5th shot, do a shot with the heavy bow. Then over time decrease the rest between (like every 4th, 3rd, other, etc.) If you cant hold good form, stop, no matter how many shots.

The idea is you are carrying over good form.

I bet 60# is not your 1 rep max... maybe 3 or 4 reps with good form...

It will take you few weeks before you will get to where you can tune, so "blind bale" those heavy bow shots.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of really really good advice here and I thank you all for it. Yes a 45lb bow is the heaviest I've drawn and shot so far. I've picked up my weights again and am doing sets of rows during work along with my usual situps and pushups every hour (I have to maintain a certain level of fitness to remain employed with the Air Force). As far as blind bale or blank bale shooting goes I've started blank bale shooting with my current bow with the pure goal of focusing on form over everything else. I've got to make sure my mind has an accurate imprint of what my form should be so that I know how it's supposed to feel when I pull the bigger bow. It does make me take far fewer shots and I'm taking 60 seconds of rest between. I still get sore and tired but I've take your advice and stopped before I'm physically "shot". I'm shooting at a mere 10 yards while doing this as right now form takes precedence over distance or accuracy. A nice side not is that my back tension is finally starting to manifest itself and my release is getting cleaner and more crisp. Heck I even stopped hitting myself in the face with the string!

Thank you all for the advice and kind words (I even appreciate your offers to take the bigger bow off my hands when it kicks my butt). I truly appreciate being able to drag you all along on this little quest to shoot a 60lb recurve.

Richard.

Comment

I've been known to wear a band-aid on my nose before...when I shot 3 under. You really lose a lot of swagger with that band-aid.

Comment

Believe me, before you get that s tring pulled back all the way, form will not be a matter of importance. If and when you get it pulled back you can attempt to salvage some form but you are going to have to hurry because that bow is going to want to shoot and you are going to want to let go of that string asap.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
            Believe me, before you get that s tring pulled back all the way, form will not be a matter of importance. If and when you get it pulled back you can attempt to salvage some form but you are going to have to hurry because that bow is going to want to shoot and you are going to want to let go of that string asap.
            It's funny that you say that. I've got a buddy here that shoots a 60lb compound and the one and only time he pulled my 45lb recurve back he said "man I just had to let it go, that thing is a pain to hold at full draw.". I'm guessing I'll feel the same way on the 60.

Richard.

Comment

Working...
            X