Tips for a newbie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for a newbie?

I just bought a Horne's Archery Bushbow and wondered if you folks could offer any newbie tips.

Been hitting my bag at around 12 yds today, no misses yet! Going to shoot off and on today as long as the sun shines.

Don't wear yourself out. You can develop bad habits/form.

Comment

Bill, back when I was a newbie,I read the book Instintive shooting by Fred G Asbell.It really helped me.He says to start out real close,like 3-5 yards and concentrate real hard on the exact spot you want to hit.After you master that then take a couple steps back and repeat.The only thing I will add is concentrate on your form FIRST,and do the above.If you have form and then add repetition you WILL GET BETTER.

Comment

I am probably not the one to offer shooting tips, as I have just come in from seaching for an arrow in the back yard...but I still may have something to suggest.

I agree with what was said above, shoot often but don't make the sessions too long. If you start getting tired you will not shoot well and your form will go bad.

Start short and train yourself to hit the bull, build confidance before moving back.

Make sure you are getting good arrow flight, if your equipment is not matched it will be very hard to improve.

invest in a metal detector for searching for lost arrows.

shoot with friends that are good shooters and let them help with your form.

the release is where my form normally goes bad first (of course it has lots of company) my bow hand likes to get a death grip when it is his turn to screw me up.

Never bet with these guys Buff, Broken Arrow, Tradag, Thumper, to name a few.

I could go on and on, but have used my band width for this log on....good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I have already learned a thing or two today just reading around here. I know I have learned how weak I am.

I do my own work on my compounds and will HAVE to learn to do my own with Trad equipment too but first things first.

Ok I have to throw a picture up.

Comment

10-4 on the above. I by far am no expert, but your form looks pretty darn good for just starting out. Just like shooting a compound. Focus on your intended spot, draw, smooth release, follow thru, and keep the bow arm up. Good luck!

Comment

Sure is a nice looking bow! I won't attempt to give advice but you have already learned a valuable lesson...hang out around here and pay attention. I have learned ALOT on here about tuning my bow, tuning arrows, tips, etc. Plus the stories told are just downright entertaining.

Comment

Your form looks pretty good,just keep at it,

I wish I could shoot with my hat on.

Comment

Thanks Duck'n, I like it.

Originally posted by stikshooter View Post
                  ......I wish I could shoot with my hat on.
                  stik after I did some reading here today and figured out to put my middle finger at the corner of my mouth the hat got turned backwards!
                  Last edited by Bill M; 01-21-2007, 08:12 PM.

Comment

it is so much more than getting your finger in your mouth. you Have to get your arrow under your eye to ever be consistant

Comment

I figured that out too Buff, thanks. Whenever I had it in the right spot, I could see it and tell it was going where I was looking.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Working...
                        X