Broad head weight help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tsavoie22 View Post
    Since the bow is 50# at 28'' draw and I draw it 29''. Is it so many more pounds per inch or is the only way to know for sure is with a scale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rule of thumb is +2 to 4lbs per inch of overdraw. With the Samick Sage and Journey though they tend to come in heavier than the stated draw weight so your best bet for accuracy is to find a bow scale.

Richard.

Comment

I would recommend going to the 3 rivers site. They have a very good chart to help you get in the ball park. If it helps any I use Gold tip 400 cut 29" with a 175 gr. Head they fly well from my bows pulling 50-55 lbs. I also use weight tubes inside the shaft to get the arrow weight up. Hope this helps you out. Bottom line the arrow just needs to fly straight, have a sharp broadheads, hit where you look and have a reasonable amount of weight. It really don't matter what the charts say. What flies well for me may not work for you.

Comment

tsavoie, you will be more forgiving with heavy wt up front to weaken the spine. You are drawing 53 if you are truly at 29 . that really does not matter that much. there is much info on the net about bare shaft tuning and a lot of good but fragmented info from the guys above. your average archery shop will be all high tech and go off the Easton cpd charts which is not helpful at all. three rivers chart on their site is decent place to start remember the longer the arrow and the more wt up front the weaker the spine and the shorter the arrow and the less wt up front the stiffer the spine. if you don't want to start over completely I would go to the 3 rivers site and buy field tips in 145 and 175 and 200 if you can find them. they are cheap then I would shoot your target at 6 to 10 yards until you see which flies and hits straight. if you get in between you could always have the shop shorten your arrows from the nock side to stiffen the arrow since you do not need full length shaft at 29 in draw. that also allows you to use heavier head and overall arrow weight which can be useful at lighter draw weights when it comes to penetration. once you find good flying arrow you can obtain trad head to match that weight also at three rivers or other archery site. I rec avoiding mechanicals . good luck

Comment

try this right here, it will have your bow and your arrows to select from

Comment

When I was shooting a 55lbs@28 drawn to 28.5 my setup was close to Bisch's. 30" (I think)400 beman realtree mfx, 100 grain brass insert, 150 grain broadhead(total 250 up front so a 50 grain insert and 200grain head should have very similar results).

Need to find someone with an arrowsaw that can help you tune your arrow length.(the arrow stiffens as you cut it shorter and shorter) These suggestions just give you an idea of what your tuning should point too.

Disclaimer: when i first started I was working in a wheel bowshop and shot 100s of arrows a day and it still took me a week to get good consistant flight since my anchor was solid and my release was constantly changing.

Comment

I chose a broadhead in the middle of the weight range so if i got close i could see if a different weight tip worked si ce i was not set on a specific tip weight yet.

Comment

Working...
              X