Will these Goldtips work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently traded for some full length Gold Tip 5575 arrows and their website says they are 9.3 grains per inch. I was told that I need at least 10 grains per inch out of my 52lb longbows with FF string. Is there any way to make the 5575"s work or will they cause problems with my bows?

I think they meant 10gr/lb.
    Many people use lighter arrows. Many use heavier. Most try for atleast 10gr/lb. So a 520 gr arrow for your setup. I'm shooting 650 in one setup and 500 on another. Both bows right at 50lb

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

They will work, may have to load the front end with 200 or 250 grains.Doin't know your draw length but start full length and cut a 1/4" at a time till the are flying like you want.
      That's what I shoot at that poundage,my draw is 29" and my arrows end up around 30" or so.

Comment

Don't worry about grains per inch. You need 10gr per pound of bow weight.

Bisch

Comment

Thanks Bisch, I knew you would chime in sooner or later. What grain broadhead would you recommend? i have been shooting Zwickey Eskimo's, 135 grain I think.

Comment

You can also use weight tubes to add the weight as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              Don't worry about grains per inch. You need 10gr per pound of bow weight.

Bisch

I could not begin to tell you how heavy of a head you need over the Internet. Only tuning can answer that question.

You SHOULD be able to get that shaft to work at or near full length with somewhere around 200gr total weight (insert and point/broadhead) up front.

Bisch
              Last edited by Bisch; 11-06-2016, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Bisc, Thanks again for the info. Just one more question, my drawlength is 28", if Icut them at 29 do you think I would still need to add weight up front?

Comment

Sorry about the misspell Bisch, hard to type and ear at the same time.

Comment

I'm not too savy on tuning, but those shafts at 29" will need atleast 175 (probsbly more) up front for 52#. It's better to leave them long and start from there.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

The GTs you have are recommended for 55 to 75 lb. draw weight if you cut them to 29 like said you will need close to 200 to 250 up front. On my 50lb bow I shoot the 35/55 arrows and tune accordingly.

Comment

My best advice, and take that with a grain of salt, is to order a set of test field tips and start tuning. The ones I ordered go up to 250g. You can put on the weight head you want to shoot and tune from there, bare shaft tune if your form is on point. Take off a 1/4" at a time from the nock end and shoot again until it's flying nock centered. Nock left is too soft, take off another 1/4". Nock right is too stiff, drop the point weight.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Grits View Post
                          Bisc, Thanks again for the info. Just one more question, my drawlength is 28", if Icut them at 29 do you think I would still need to add weight up front?

Like the other guys said, if you cut them, you will need to add more weight up front. Like I said earlier, only first hand tuning will tell you exactly how much weight you need to make them perfect! It is almost always better to start out long and cut when tuning tells you to. If you make an arbitrary cut, you could make the arrow not suitable for your setup.

Bisch

Comment

Leave them full length

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                              My best advice, and take that with a grain of salt, is to order a set of test field tips and start tuning. The ones I ordered go up to 250g. You can put on the weight head you want to shoot and tune from there, bare shaft tune if your form is on point. Take off a 1/4" at a time from the nock end and shoot again until it's flying nock centered. Nock left is too soft, take off another 1/4". Nock right is too stiff, drop the point weight.

Richard.
                              You will need to increase point weight if a shaft is too stiff.

Comment

Working...
                              X