Who makes their own tabs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who makes their own tabs?

I started off shooting with a very cheap tab from the local gun/archery shop. That thing did nothing to protect my fingers, and shooting was starting to hurt. I decided to just cut a small patch of 8-9oz leather that would cover my fingers and give it a shot. My groups shrunk, my anchor felt better, and my bow shot quieter. Got me to thinking... does anyone else do the same and simply keep a bit of scrap leather handy for when one tab goes bad? Anybody have a reason as to why normal leather shouldn't be used?

I make leather tabs for kids bows. But for the heavier 40-50# bows, etc, I want a little more protection. For that, it would require some sewing and that is where I throw in the towel

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
      I make leather tabs for kids bows. But for the heavier 40-50# bows, etc, I want a little more protection. For that, it would require some sewing and that is where I throw in the towel
      8-9oz leather is thick enough to where I can barely feel where the string is on my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
        8-9oz leather is thick enough to where I can barely feel where the string is on my fingers.
        With the thicker leather, I had a harder time cutting out the finger loop so that it wouldn't be so thick in that area as to prevent the tab from laying flat across my fingers as well (I hope that makes sense.) Most of the 'pro' tabs have multiple layers and that is what I would be trying to duplicate. Would I use a single piece of leather tab in a pinch... you bet. I have one in my box as a backup to my backup... but it doesn't have the fit/feel that I have grown to like.

Rick Barbee makes a good tab... and I wish I owned one (he doesn't make them any more.)

Comment

Ultimately I prefer shooting with a glove, but can shoot with a tab. I made several different styles and I liked something similar to what Barbee was doing. I like a total thickness of layers that allows me extended shooting times, but I want to feel the string. So thickness can be changed on draw weight, and thickness of the served portion of your string. I tried a few leathers and material layers till I met the match for my bows.
          B

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
            With the thicker leather, I had a harder time cutting out the finger loop so that it wouldn't be so thick in that area as to prevent the tab from laying flat across my fingers as well (I hope that makes sense.) Most of the 'pro' tabs have multiple layers and that is what I would be trying to duplicate. Would I use a single piece of leather tab in a pinch... you bet. I have one in my box as a backup to my backup... but it doesn't have the fit/feel that I have grown to like.

Rick Barbee makes a good tab... and I wish I owned one (he doesn't make them any more.)
            I gotcha. I just punched two holes and made a loop out of some suede lace. I'll invest in a nice tab shortly, but I'll do what I gotta do to keep shooting

Comment

Heck I'd love to be able to shoot with just my fingers. I find the tab an annoyance sometimes and I hate the glove I have.

Richard.

Comment

I gotcha. I just punched two holes and made a loop out of some suede lace. I'll invest in a nice tab shortly, but I'll do what I gotta do to keep shooting
                Yep, keep on keeping on. That is the beauty of it, you can just make up your own gear for most things (Velcro shelf, arm guards, nocking points, silencers, tabs, gloves, etc.)

I used a cheap $5 Allen Co. Armguard for the longest time before I bought a $30 "custom" leather armguard. It worked, but there were a few little things I wanted to be different for convenience reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                  Heck I'd love to be able to shoot with just my fingers. I find the tab an annoyance sometimes and I hate the glove I have.

Richard.
                  Sounds like you should find a better glove.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post

Richard.
                    have you tried the American leathers big shot glove? high quality shooting glove, I do not like gloves at all but I could easily use the American leathers gloves, their is several versions of them

Comment

check out bateman tabs...quality tab for under 20 bucks

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
                        check out bateman tabs...quality tab for under 20 bucks
                        Thanks!

Comment

Thanks!
                          no problem, their is an abundance of them on ebay, that's where I get them at

Comment

I bought a pound of hair on leather scraps online. I think it was the The Leather Guy. The thickness varies a little, but I have not had a problem shooting 53#. I was using Allen tabs from Academy. It should be enough for a lot of years. I think it was around $13 delivered. Good luck
                            Rusty.

Comment

Not to say the tab made the entire difference, but my shooting has definitely improved. This was my group at 23 yards tonight. Need to move over to the right a bit, but I'm happy with the consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X