Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Recurve vs long bow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurve vs long bow.

What is your favorite and why?

recurve easier for me to shoot

Comment

Originally posted by mpotts View Post
      recurve easier for me to shoot
      Because of length, riser design, shelf design, forgiveness???

Comment

So far a recurve; because I haven't found a longbow that feels as good as my widow recurve.

Comment

And there in lies my need for answers. I really like the look of the Widow PSR and PL series but that is a chunk to drop on one not knowing which I prefer. I have limited experience with recurves so I'm fishing.

Comment

So far for me it's a recurve but that's because the longbow I'm trying out (thank you SwampRabbit!) has such terrible hand shock that I wince when I try to shoot it. I'd like a longbow at some point as I hear they are more forgiving but right now nothing beats my cheap little Sage.

Richard.

Comment

I shoot a longbow that has a pistol grip or Recurve style handle! The shelf is cut 3/16 past center (Center shot) so I can easily shoot a variety of arrows as long as they are stiff enough for the bow.

Comment

Let me throw the curve ball. I am usually a recurve guy, and I think one of the best feeling recurves in my hand is the 70's Grizzly... HOWEVER> I have a longbow getting made currently and have a demo bow from the bowyer. It's SWEET! I typically prefer the slightly higher wrist of most recurves, but do not like a real high wrist set. I don't like to point at the target with my thumb and hand flat. I have been wanting a flat grip longbow, very low wrist, and NO locator, so I am having one made and the demo I am shooting is exactly like I wanted. Hard to say if it is just this one design, but sure feels good in the mit.

Comment

One of the best things I've done, as far as archery goes, is taking a trip to Nixa, Missouri. The folks at Black Widow Bows are super nice, very patient, and don't mind that you shoot every type of bow they make, and every grip that they make. You won't regret it. By the time I left, I knew exactly what grip felt best for me, what type of bow I liked best, and what poundage was most comfortable also.

Comment

Good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Engine Co. 29 View Post
                      One of the best things I've done, as far as archery goes, is taking a trip to Nixa, Missouri. The folks at Black Widow Bows are super nice, very patient, and don't mind that you shoot every type of bow they make, and every grip that they make. You won't regret it. By the time I left, I knew exactly what grip felt best for me, what type of bow I liked best, and what poundage was most comfortable also.
                      Now that's some customer service right there!

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                        Let me throw the curve ball. I am usually a recurve guy, and I think one of the best feeling recurves in my hand is the 70's Grizzly... HOWEVER> I have a longbow getting made currently and have a demo bow from the bowyer. It's SWEET! I typically prefer the slightly higher wrist of most recurves, but do not like a real high wrist set. I don't like to point at the target with my thumb and hand flat. I have been wanting a flat grip longbow, very low wrist, and NO locator, so I am having one made and the demo I am shooting is exactly like I wanted. Hard to say if it is just this one design, but sure feels good in the mit.
                        For me it's probably the grip on the longbow that causes issues. I've got a really high grip in that my bow hand is almost flat at the horizontal and in line with my wrist when I shoot.

Richard.

Comment

Black Widow

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          And there in lies my need for answers. I really like the look of the Widow PSR and PL series but that is a chunk to drop on one not knowing which I prefer. I have limited experience with recurves so I'm fishing.
                          I have had the PSR and still have the PLX (PLX's). IMO there is not a nickels difference in shooting either of them. It pretty much boils down to, I started with a longbow and they are my favorite. Oh ya, I don't need a stringer and my limbs will likely never twist with my PLX's.

The difference in the models are the X and V series have Bamboo core and the others don't. Although all of the models have carbon in the limbs.

I have to recommend getting a take-down, that is a great way to spend a $100 in archery. The Black Widows are expensive but like many things in life you do get what you pay for. In the end the Widows are a lifetime investment that with a little TLC they will look and perform as new forever.

Maybe you should take advantage of Black Widow's test drive and try both and see which you prefer. Good Luck in what ever direction you go.

Comment

I have gone through 3 long bows, I currently shoot (not spectacular either) a Martin Savannah. I like them they are quieter but I shoot my recurves better.

Comment

I will be headed to Missouri soon for work and deer season. May have to make room for an extra day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X