Sanding down a riser? (Samick)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanding down a riser? (Samick)

Any of you do any finish work on your take-down risers? I love my Sage but am thinking a little weight loss and some sexier curves would make her stand out a bit. I've never done it and don't want to jack something up, probably buy a second riser so that I can work on one and shoot the other.

Thoughts?

Richard.

Depends on how the riser is built and the weight of your bow. Ie.. Reinforced or laminated riser. I would think you would be able to round some edges and get away with it but I wouldn't do anything real drastic . Imo
    Ps.. A heavier riser gives you more stability especially on longer shots, and helps to reduce the amount of felt handshock
    Last edited by Randy Madden; 10-11-2016, 02:40 PM.

Comment

On the Samic Sage 2 spyder bows they rounded the edges a little to give it a smoother look.
      Do a search on the above and pictures will show the riser and how it looks.
      All you need is a little woodworking skills and you should be fine.
      Last edited by Jimbo47; 10-11-2016, 04:11 PM.

Comment

It's easily doable. I reshaped the riser on a $900 Stalker bow because I just did not like the way it was before. It is sweet now. But, I was kinda nervous as I laid the orbial sander down on it at first.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo47 View Post
          On the Samic Sage 2 spyder bows they rounded the edges a little to give it a smoother look.
          Do a search on the above and pictures will show the riser and how it looks.
          All you need is a little woodworking skills and you should be fine.
          Thanks! The phrase "little woodworking skills" is exactly me.

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          It's easily doable. I reshaped the riser on a $900 Stalker bow because I just did not like the way it was before. It is sweet now. But, I was kinda nervous as I laid the orbial sander down on it at first.

Bisch
          Man I'd never reshape the riser on something that expensive. Congrats on getting it where you wanted it but jeez you had to have nerves of steel just to consider it.

Richard.

Comment

I reworked a handle on a 21 th Century Lone Star. I did not like the shape of the handle. Milton saw it and was not impressed.

But I saw a Lone Star a few yrs later and he started making the handle like mine.

Comment

Google it. There are folks that have sanded down the sage and reshaped it and then refinished it, etc. I thought about doing it, but decided that I was going to buy a custom bow eventually, and nothing would take away the look of those hideous black limb pockets While the sage can hunt, and it is a good bow... for me, refinishing it is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Comment

Working...
              X