Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you folks think i saw lastnight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what do you folks think i saw lastnight?

Ill start by saying i have not seen near as many deer as i typically see on my lease(hill country). I have however seen several coyote's.
    Last night about 15 min before dark I have 4 bucks and 3 doe under my feet when all the sudden they all threw their head up and look towards a dry creek. Then I hear a lot of commotion and a young deer comes out of there running about as fast as a deer could possibly run with either a yote or young lion on its heels. They were so fast when they went by 50 yds away I could not tell what it was chasing that deer. It was not 10 seconds later i hear the deer bawling as I am grabbing my pistol and getting out of the tree. I never heard another sound even as i was making my way in the direction I heard the deer bawl. By now its darker so i never located it.

I dont know if a yote could take one down that fast and that quietly.
    I figured a yote would growel or something while taking down a deer. and as fast as they were running i dont know how a yote would even get it down.
    Last edited by flywise; 10-09-2016, 07:32 AM.

Sounds like a mountain lion or even a large bobcat. We are having the same issue this year.

Comment

I bet it was a coyote. They have no problem running down baby deer.

Comment

To me it looked like a juvenile lion but as fast as it all took place and with the amount of coyote's i have seen I really have no idea

Comment

If you were in E.Texas I'd say a poacher. LOL Have you been back to that location this morning? If you find the deer a bit mark or something may tell you what you saw.

Comment

Look for tracks in the spot where it ran by.

Comment

I had to work this morning and probably will not be back for a week or two.
              Guess I'll just have to hope for another encounter

Comment

I'm betting bobcat by your description.

Bisch

Comment

You going to have to stop watching so many movies and national geographic documentaries, predators don't go around growling and snarling, especially if they're after prey. The only way they get get into striking distance is surprise and stealth. Coyotes take down deer all the time, even an adult bobcat will take one if it gets hungry enough. If it chased the deer any distance it was more than likely a coyote and chances are also good that there were two of them, the second probably showed up very near to where you heard the deer bleat when it got caught.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                    You going to have to stop watching so many movies and national geographic documentaries, predators don't go around growling and snarling, especially if they're after prey. The only way they get get into striking distance is surprise and stealth. Coyotes take down deer all the time, even an adult bobcat will take one if it gets hungry enough. If it chased the deer any distance it was more than likely a coyote and chances are also good that there were two of them, the second probably showed up very near to where you heard the deer bleat when it got caught.
                    The growling and snarling was something i figured i'd hear AFTER it hd it by the throat, not before. There was not a sound before or after the deer made its sounds. Typically wouldn't a yote call all the other yotes over after a kill?
                    I have been in the woods a long time and See coyote's find a gut pile and call all the others in the pack. I assuming it was a yote but It didnt look like one when they went by at what seemd like 100 mph

Comment

Coyotes are very vocal but generally what we hear is them letting the neighbors know they're still alive and are in their territory, when they hunt and make a kill they're not out to advertise. The family group whether it was the alpha pair or a pack were close enough to be aware of what was going on and get in on the grub. If they made a big ruckus it would advertise to the neighbors that might decide to come visiting and pilfer a quick meal while no ones watching. You and I hunt, everyone here can clearly read this, but we don't have our gun safe setting out by the driveway! Kinda the same principle.

Comment

I thought for a second there you were going to say you saw a Snorlax.

Comment

I have the same scenario at my feeder with the dry creek next to it and have picture of a bobcat chasing deer out multiple times. I'll try to post them later, but all the deer look up and the next picture is white tails and a bobcat on their heels.

Comment

JHill hunting with Sasquatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a post a couple months ago about a fawn I saved from a coyote. That is exactly what happens. The coyote runs them down and grabs them by the neck. They bawl like crazy until death occurs. I had it happen twice this summer while hunting axis. The third time I jumped out and ran towards the bawling. The coyote let go of the fawn and took off when it saw me.

Comment

Working...
                              X