First of many.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of many.

This is a big year of first for me and included with that is the fact that i am going trad only. I will be 100 percent longbow this year, i am nervous and excited at the same time. I am fortunate to have access to be able to hunt on the 160 acres i live on right outside of Wimberley. One of the first this year is my wife and i owning our own business. With me still working full time at the day job and her at the coffee shop on top of raising three little ones hunting, or should i say preparing for hunting has taken a backseat. I have not done a single thing to prepare outside of shooting my bow. Luckily i have hunted here for 6 years and know the travel routes and deer pretty well but i don't have a stand or feeder one set up.

With all of that being said i'll be making my first sit in the morning hoping for my first kill with traditional equipment. I'm on nights now so when i leave here at 5 that should put me home just in time to get ready and make the dark walk into the woods.

I'm going to set up behind a fallen tree at the intersection of a trail and natural travel route. I shot my personal best buck here from a tree stand in 2014 so i am kind of partial to the intersection.

Part of what excites me for this season is being so unprepared that i will really have to do everything right to make it all come together. I will not have the securities that a treestand, ground blind, or feeder has to offer. Just me trying to hide behind whatever nature has placed for me with a stick and string in my hand.

I'm shooting a #52 Toelke whip with easton axis 500's and 125gr stingers, pic below of where i am setting up. Best of luck to each of you this season and enjoy every minute of it.

Last edited by jnors06; 10-09-2016, 12:27 AM.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Good luck

Bisch

Comment

Best of luck

Comment

Good luck . Best places to hunt sometimes are the ones you walk up on .

Comment

Hope for the best for you. Enjoy the woods. :-)

Comment

It was a great morning in the woods. Of course I went trough the old sit here vs there thought process. I nestled in against a fence behind some brush. And wouldn't you know it, right before daylight I hear foot steps behind me. Man when she snorted at me she was right behind me, maybe 10'! After she ran around alerting the county I was hunting I decided to sneak around a bit. I spotted a doe about 100 yes out and tried to put some moves on her. I got within 50yds and then I moved behind a cedar to set up an ambush. She should have been passing me in 5 minutes or less well after about 10 I peaked out and she was nowhere to be seen. I figured she cut left and ended up crossing behind me in the thick stuff.

So all in all a great opening day (for me) out in the woods doing what we all love. I also set up a nice natural ground blind on a well used travel corridor so we'll see what happens. It may be a few weeks before I make it back out.

God bless you fine folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like a fun hunt. Better luck next time.

Comment

Sounds like a good hunt. Good luck next time.

Comment

Sounds like a good hunt!! Good luck the rest of the season.

Comment

Working...
                    X