Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your opinion on this shot location - outcome of shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your opinion on this shot location - outcome of shot?

I am curious as to what you guys think the end result of this shot would be.

I managed to screw up a "chip shot" on a small buck at 12 yards saturday morning. Long story short, I just didn't pick a spot. He was slowly walking and with him being so close I didn't want to stop him and him peg me, so I rushed it. I watched the arrow strike a little forwards and watched him take off. Breaking the arrow off about 40 yards into his dash. I heard bone on the hit and I was finding blood coming out both sides.

There wasn't any blood for the first 100 yards, then it was not the best blood trail I have ever followed. I managed to track him for about 300 more yards after first blood. Blood eventually stopped. I brought my dog out, followed her around for a couple hours and then grid searched never finding anything else.

Disappointed would be an understatement.

Very similar situation last year. Was at draw for over a minute, and the buck started walking broadside. Hit him about where the index finger knuckle is on your image. I heard when the arrow smacked bone and I got about 3" of penetration. Arrow broke off at insert, weak blood drops for 200 yards then nothing. I believe the deer lived.

Edit: My apologies, missed that this was in the trad forum.
    Last edited by Patton; 10-03-2016, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielb89 View Post
      I am curious as to what you guys think the end result of this shot would be.
      If I made that shot, and I have, I would be worried as heck. When I have done it, the deer was not recovered either. If you got all the way through him, then maybe, maybe not he is dead......depends on what got cut.

Bisch

Comment

Cutting it fine right there... a little left of where you think at all and he has a pierced brisket but lives

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
          Very similar situation last year. Was at draw for over a minute, and the buck started walking broadside. Hit him about where the index finger knuckle is on your image. I heard when the arrow smacked bone and I got about 3" of penetration. Arrow broke off at insert, weak blood drops for 200 yards then nothing. I believe the deer lived.

Edit: My apologies, missed that this was in the trad forum.

Total arrow penetration was around 14". He still has 6" of shaft and 2" of broadhead in him.

When I was watching him run away, it was all he could do to keep his feet under him. He was struggling to say the least. I feel horrible for the deer.

Comment

I shot a doe same place a few years go, arrow broke off about 4 inches in and I never found the deer.

Comment

I hit a buck just a touch right of where you are pointing. Figured I would never find him, and gave the buck 5 hours before looking. Found him about 100 yards in. I shaved a big piece of lung off both lungs, barely catching it.

Comment

It's one of them maybe so, maybe no shots.
                This isn't exactly accurate, but it's close.

Rick
                Attached Files

Comment

I feel your pain. I hit one forward like that last season and never found him. I looked for two days as it was my first longbow buck. Never saw him again. It still bothers me but I understand it is part of being a hunter.

Comment

Hard to tell. Could be dead, could be alive. With shots like that, when the blood stops, you gotta consider the back track scenario. That is what happened to me on my first attempt at a compound kill. I didn't recover the doe personally, but my neighbor did and it was 20 yards off the path we had tracked her down. She had back tracked to about half way and turned.

Comment

Working...
                    X