Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shooting 600 spines out of a 45lb bow. Won't damage the bow will it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting 600 spines out of a 45lb bow. Won't damage the bow will it?

Form training with my bow has taken a new turn. I put the 45lb limbs on and shoot until my form starts to break down then I switch to my 35lb limbs and go back out for 50 or 60 more shots. I'm doing this like I do weight training in that I go heavy to muscle failure/fatigue and then go lighter for another couple sets. My concern, at the advice of the neighbor, is that shooting 600 spine shafts out of a set of 45lb limbs might either cause the limbs to break or shatter the shaft upon release. I've only got a 100g target tip on the 30" shafts if that matters.

Should I be concerned or just learn to ignore the neighbor?

Richard.
    Last edited by Junkers88; 09-21-2016, 08:58 PM.

Shooting a .600 spine arrow out of a 45# bow will not hurt it a bit.

Shooting a too light mass weight arrow (regardless of spine) out of a bow can cause problems. Some bowyers will void their warranty if you shoot arrows under a certain grains per pound (like 7 or 8). If the mass weight of your arrow is over 9gpp, you should not have anything to worry about.

And, btw, I thought you were not going to listen to him anymore????
    Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      Shooting a .600 spine arrow out of a 45# bow will not hurt it a bit.

Shooting a too light mass weight arrow (regardless of spine) out of a bow can cause problems. Some bowyers will void their warranty if you shoot arrows under a certain grains per pound (like 7 or 8). If the mass weight of your arrow is over 9gpp, you should not have anything to worry about.

And, btw, I thought you were not going to listen to him anymore????
      Bisch
      Thanks Bisch. I just did the calcs and it comes out at 7.7gpp.

Richard

Edit: Well I don't pay much attention to him but he planted a seed of doubt.
      Last edited by Junkers88; 09-21-2016, 09:05 PM.

Comment

I won't shoot 7.7 out of my bows, but I know folks that do. I do not personally know of anyone that has ever had a bow break because of this, but have read that it can happen, and would not take the chance on my own bow.

If it was me, I would just wait till I have the new arrows for the 45# setup.

Bisch

Comment

Thank you much! I'll wait till the new arrows arrive this week to get the 45's back out.

Richard

Comment

My bow likes 600 spine arrows and I use aluminum 1916 arrows to get my weight up. Most 600 spine carbons are too light for me. Another option is to check out the CE Heritage 75 or 90 shafts. They are a heavier carbon arrow in the 600 spine area.

Comment

put weight tubes in your arrows

Comment

Thanks guys. I received some very nice CE Heritage 250's that I'm building into hunting arrows and will stick to shooting the 600's (1535) our of my 35lb bow.

Richard.

Comment

I thought I may be a bit over spined with 29.5 inch 500s. 45lb bow at 28 inches. But I haven't a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                    I thought I may be a bit over spined with 29.5 inch 500s. 45lb bow at 28 inches. But I haven't a clue.
                    That would depend on your draw length (which would determine actual draw weight) and how much weight you have on the front end.

Bisch

Comment

24 inches to center of riser

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

24 inches to center of riser

Draw length is measured to the back (outside) of the bow. If you are 24" to center of riser, that means you are 25-26" actual DL, which means your actual draw weight is probably closer to 40# or maybe even a little less. I would think that that .500 spine at 29.5" would be a bit too stiff, esp if you don't have any extra weight added on the front end with heavy point/inserts.

The only way to know for sure though is through actual tuning.

Bisch

Comment

I picked up some 145 and 180 grain points today. Enough?

Comment

I picked up some 145 and 180 grain points today. Enough?

There is no way to answer that without actual shooting and tuning to see.

Bisch

Comment

Well my lab decided to chew up three of my new arrows while I was inside with my grandson. Maybe it's a sign.

Comment

Working...
                              X