Need some help with recurve...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help with recurve...

So I was given an older recurve by my FIL last year and I was wanting to get a string for it and maybe refinish it to make it look a little better. From what I gathered from him, the bow is fairly old but he used to shoot it several years ago. It has no manufacturer markings, no AMO length, poundage ect to go off of.

Ive checked the limbs and they appear to be good still. No sign of warping or cracking. I put a little stress on them to simulate stringing it up and there were no cracking ect heard so i assume it could still be strung up. If possible id like to string it up and shoot it a little, if not then maybe just refinish it and use it for decor.

So my question is, are there an trad shooters near McKinney who could point me in the right direction to get a string, maybe give some advise on how to refinish it if possible? Id be willing to pay someone for their time if they could look it over for/with me cause I know almost nothing about trad bows.

Here are a few pics I snapped of the bow, Thanks for the help guys!

David
    Attached Files

I am not familiar with the McKinney area but as far as strings go, you can order them from Kustom King Archery or 3 Rivers or anyone else who makes strings. Since you said it is an older bow, I would stay away from fast flight or any thing else that is little or no stretch. These can damage the older limbs. I have never had a bow refinished so I cannot help you there. Hope this helps.

Comment

Your wearing my PawPaw house shoes!
      And the preverbal, "wish you were closer". Getting closer is correct with string advice, materials to use would be Dacron B50 or 55. As for string length Bisch does a much better job explaining that, maybe he will chime in soon. Over all, from the pics the general finish doesn't look bad. Yea, the tips are a little rough looking. I would almost start with just a good cleaning. I'd start in a small test area to be sure the current finish doesn't have an adverse reaction, and try denatured alcohol, or mineral spirits on a soft cotton rag(old Tshirt). Just dampen the rag slightly and rub an area with light to moderate pressure, like cleaning windows. Dry and buff the area with a dry soft rag. If it cleans up good you can follow up with a paste wax and put a very light coat on the bow and buff it out with a soft rag. Now this won't repair any big scratches or spots where the finish is dinged or missing. ****IMPORTANT FYI**** If your thinking of a total restore and there is places where the finish is really damaged or missing, like on your tips, do NOT wax those areas!

Comment

Here are some teasers!!

The Black bow in this thread, I now own! My friend said after he got it back he just never shot it like he thought he would so he gave it to me!

Comment

I really wish I could get this one back!!! I've offered him more than $299 for it and he won't sell it to me. He is a good friend and coworker, he said it is hanging on the wall and he doesn't even shoot it!

Comment

If you decide to try and work on the bow feel free to text me 254-721-1643 or contact me here. I'd be happy to try and help however I can.

Comment

Working...
            X