What arrows for new Recurve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What arrows for new Recurve

Well, I made a impulse dive into traditional archery and picked up a 45lb Redwing. Having only shot compounds over the years, I don't have the first idea about what arrows I should be picking up and what length I should be cutting them.

I have a 28" draw length so I'm guessing I'll actually be pulling about 42lbs? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jake

I'd get some full length 1916 aluminums and tune them by cutting. I'm sure some other folks will have different ideas. Often times a bow will handle alot of different spines with just a few tweaks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll tell you like folks told me on here repeatedly. Get full length arrows and start shooting. Don't cut them. Don't tune them. Just shoot and go from there. In a 45lb draw bow (assuming it's rated for 45lbs at 28" draw length) you could get some 400 spine carbons to start.

As an FYI I took none of the advice listed above and am now buying new shafts because I ended up with mine cut too short.

Comment

I would think .500 spine would be best if your draw length is 28' or less.

Bisch

Comment

Yep .500 would be a better place to start, that's what I shoot out of my 44# bow. Like already mentioned, leave them full length. Carbons get stiff really quick.

Comment

Check out Bigjim archery he is got some really good deals on gold tip 500 flemished arrows

Comment

The guys at 3riversarchery can give you some good advice on where to start. I wasted a bunch of money trying to find the right setup on my own. I should have talked to them first. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice, I do think I will call up the folks at 3 Rivers and have a chat. Just offhand from what some of y'all have said, and from what I've read on here.....initially thinking of trying a .500 carbon left full length with a 100gr insert and 125gr head. Does this sound like a reasonable starting point?

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Tarleton Jake View Post
                  Thanks for all of the advice, I do think I will call up the folks at 3 Rivers and have a chat. Just offhand from what some of y'all have said, and from what I've read on here.....initially thinking of trying a .500 carbon left full length with a 100gr insert and 125gr head. Does this sound like a reasonable starting point?

Jake

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch
                    Thanks!

Jake

Comment

As a quick test for your set up, put the insert and point in without gluing them, then see where the balance point on your arrow is. If it's about 2/3 of the way between the nock and the point, your FOC is about right. 225 up front on a 500 full length sounds like you're in the right range - I'd expect that a 500 would tune well for you with 200-225 up front including the insert.

Comment

Working...
                      X