Soft broadheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft broadheads

Is there a reason most traditional broad head makers harden there heads to only 50-55 rhc? Im having the tips curl on several brands just from repeated shooting into a rhinehart target and MAYBE the ground a time or two.....

Seems a point or three up the hardness scale would allow it to blow through bone easier without chipping or curling. But so many advertise this as the hardness I figure there is something I'm missing. I can deal with a chipped blade but the curled ones are worthless.

Which broadhead are you using that is curling?

I would think the choice in hardness boils down to how easy it is to sharpen and the tradeoff associated with that.

I use Zwickey's and don't have a clue what the hardness rating is. I do know that they don't curl at all... even when stuck in trees, through cactus into dirt and rocks. I've sparked a few shooting at pigs at night and no curl, crack, what have you. Always been able to file them back to sharp.

Comment

Zwickey Eskimo and woodsman elite are the two I've shot most. A zwickey curled a quarter inch of the tip last night. Broke when I tried to bend it back.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
        Which broadhead are you using that is curling?

I would think the choice in hardness boils down to how easy it is to sharpen and the tradeoff associated with that.

I use Zwickey's and don't have a clue what the hardness rating is. I do know that they don't curl at all... even when stuck in trees, through cactus into dirt and rocks. I've sparked a few shooting at pigs at night and no curl, crack, what have you. Always been able to file them back to sharp.
        I think you just answered my question. Filing back to sharp is why they keep them so soft. I use a diamond and didn't think about lot of guys use a file.

Comment

What are you hitting that's bending them I've mostly just seen them bend on rocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Dkincaid;11569805]What are you hitting that's bending them I've mostly just seen them bend on rocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Rinehart target. Dirt...... I'm trying to take a picture of one the edge rolled from hitting a graphite arrow shaft.

I've got a Rockwell tester in my shop. I just tested them, the highest reading was 45. They advertise 50+ (which is still too soft in my mind). I've got a package of the bigger Zwickey that test at 54.

I can't get the woodsman to sit on the hardness anvil goo enough to get an accurate reading.
            Last edited by doublearrow; 08-10-2016, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I don't know, but I like them a hardness that I can sharpen with a file. If the tips curl, and they do some, I just file them down to a more rounded but still sharp tip and keep going.

Comment

I have two dozen original grizzlies I don't know the hardness but takes me 30 mins to sharpen one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you have some inserts stuck inside your target that pulled out of arrows or something? I've never seen a zwickey bend in a target like that. Maybe you got a bad batch.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
                    Do you have some inserts stuck inside your target that pulled out of arrows or something? I've never seen a zwickey bend in a target like that. Maybe you got a bad batch.
                    No inserts anything left in it. I tested these and they are too soft. Even at the advertised hardness of 50-55 that still seems too soft to me. But after someone brought it up I realized it was for the guys to sharpen with a file. I'm going to try and heat treat one to a higher hardness. If it hits a bone it has a better chance of curling at 55 at 58-59 it would have a lot less chance of curling.
                    I put in a search for Woodman and zwickey seems some people have issues curling and some don't.
                    Part of my living is making knives. There is not a single knife maker round that will go below 58 much less to the low 50s on hardness. Low 50 to 45 is spring temper in most steel types.

Comment

I pretty much only use German Kinetic and Magnus Stingers anymore, and I have not had any issues with either of those!

Bisch

Comment

Tanto or chisel the tip and they will be way less likely to bend.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                          I pretty much only use German Kinetic and Magnus Stingers anymore, and I have not had any issues with either of those!

Bisch
                          On hill country ground, my stingers curl up faster than a bacon in hot grease.

The Zwickeys have never done that. They have that really thick tip.

Now, what I am gathering here is that he is talking about just the "edge" at a small level. Not the nose litterally curling up, but the edge going dull because it curls (something you feel or see if you look realy really close.)

With that in mind, my Zwickeys do not stay sharp when they hit the deck, or are shot repeatedly through foam. I do have to touch them up to get them razor sharp again.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                            On hill country ground, my stingers curl up faster than a bacon in hot grease.

The Zwickeys have never done that. They have that really thick tip.

Now, what I am gathering here is that he is talking about just the "edge" at a small level. Not the nose litterally curling up, but the edge going dull because it curls (something you feel or see if you look realy really close.)

With that in mind, my Zwickeys do not stay sharp when they hit the deck, or are shot repeatedly through foam. I do have to touch them up to get them razor sharp again.
                            No the actual tip curled I bent it back and it broke. I will post pictures.

Comment

1/4" of the tip curled. I bent it back and one layer/side broke. Just a small part of the tip is bent hwre because I bent it back.

I tested these on a hardness tester they are way way way too soft, but t rhe factory hardness they are too soft. I just thought it was weird so many advertised being soft in my eyes..

Comment

Working...
                              X