Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 deer at 20 yds. None at 15.

Originally posted by JTBean View Post
    This will be my first season hunting and I would like some tips on how to manage scent control during warm weather for both deer and hogs. What works and what does not work in our climate? I plan on hunting SHNF and around Somerville.
    Look for deer poop. If you find moist deer poop. Rub it on your boots. If its dry...moisten it with water. Then rub it on your boots.

Look for hog poop. If you find hog poop, rub it on your boots.

Baking soda and smoking.

Im having difficulty with descenting leather. Ive ozoned my leather gloves...the ozone dissapates then leather smell eminates profusely enough for me to smell it with a mask on. I spritzed my shooting gloves in vanilla but wondering if smoking might be better...either way some applied poop is in order.

Comment

Winds shifted from South to Northeast.

Smoking with cedar elm leaves.
      Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Wind, wind, and wind!

Comment

Originally posted by MEsquivel View Post
          Always keep the wind in your face.
          X2

Comment

I'm a big scent control freak. However there are times when you can't shower, can't wear fresh clothes etc. When I shot the doe I hadn't showered since morning the day before, worked all day the day of at the ranch and went to stand knowing I had to play the wind. But I try to have multiple set ups to account for different winds and had one for the wind that night. With the leaves off the trees it wasn't as concealed as sitting in the pop up across the clearing but at least the wind was in my face. Sometimes all you can do is use the wind.

Gary

Comment

I was going to post a couple days ago when I hunted the evening and forgot to. I was sitting on a stool in some little cedar trees. Of course I had the skunk scent out. 9 does and fawns went around me at 15 to 20 yards. Only one doe caught a little bit of me and stopped, backed up, tried again and smelled some thing again. Tried again and every thing was all right this time and went on her way. It's really interesting to watch them when they catch just a bit of you but the skunk over whelms your scent so much that they can't make up their mind what to do. I've had them go back the way they came and try farther away and then every thing is OK. I can't remember the last time I had one actually snort and spook away though.

Comment

Working...
              X