First Recurve - Ben Pearson Colt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Recurve - Ben Pearson Colt

My grandad left me a Ben Pearson Colt 707-62". It also says 55#-28". I've never owned or shot a recurve, so I'm unsure where to start. The limbs look good so I grabbed a 62" string at Bass Pro today and it seems to fit well. Should I leave it unstrung when not in use? What's a good way to store the string?

My questions are, what kind of arrows, and length do I need to look for? I would probably like feather vanes to stay traditional.

What other gear do I need? I can't imagine I will get too serious with it, but would like to shoot it some.

Also, what is the little tab where the arrow goes, looks like some sort of arrow rest.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

This is going to be long.
    If you can post a pic we may can help you a little more about the "tab."
    Most of my recurves I shoot between 7.5 and 8.5" of Brace height, which is totally subjective to the shooter, but 8 may be a good place to start. I ALWAYS un-string my bow after shooting, use a stringer (long thick string similar to shoe lace with padded pockets on each end) so you do not induce any twist on the bow limbs.
    Arrows are yet another one of those things we can never fully agree on in the traditional community. Most of the time a general thought is about 10 grains per pound of draw weight. If your bow is 55# at your draw length try to shoot around 550 grains total arrow weight. If you draw the bow less then 28" you loose a little draw weight and longer gains. If you want to shoot carbons try to stay with a lower spine as the arrow has to flex around the riser, these are not center shot compounds and a fair amount of give/flex is necessary (archers paradox). On my 50# bows I shoot Gold Tip Nugent pinks in the 500 spine with 100 grain brass insert and 145 grain points. Lots of nose weight makes the spine softer. This works well for me, but again everyone shoots a little different.
    Try to stay with feather fletchings as much as possible. You can shoot vanes off the shelf of the recurves but I have found it takes a great deal of trial and error to find that good flight.
    You may have an easier time finding a shooting tab, but I like the glove. I shoot split finger with a cordovan glove, but again this is just personal preference.
    I know there is much more I left out and if you have any more questions let me know.
    Good luck.

Comment

Look for the video called the push on you tube

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Agreed. youtube push archery and set a while.

Comment

I have a pinto also really cool vintage bow. Mine shoots good

Comment

What kind of string ? Dacron, (b50,b500etc.) would be suitable, fastflite type strings such as dyna 97 etc might not be a good idea especially if the limbs don't have overlays.

Comment

Originally posted by McK View Post
              What kind of string ? Dacron, (b50,b500etc.) would be suitable, fastflite type strings such as dyna 97 etc might not be a good idea especially if the limbs don't have overlays.
              It's a Dacron string.

Just watch 'The Push', great video, very informative. I learned a lot, now I need to get to the range and try some things out. I think I'm going to try a tab, and do the combo gap/walk described in the video.

What's a good shop in Houston for traditional?

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                It's a Dacron string.

Just watch 'The Push', great video, very informative. I learned a lot, now I need to get to the range and try some things out. I think I'm going to try a tab, and do the combo gap/walk described in the video.

What's a good shop in Houston for traditional?
                Go see Lynda, she's a great coach along with knowing just about everything archery related.

Archery supplies for target archery, bow hunters, and recreational archers alike. All from a small business with a family spirit!

Comment

Most of the shops are not really set up much for trad, although they will try and help you. You are welcome to come out to the Lost Cow Ranch (my little place) and shoot sometime. I am on the NE side just south of Cleveland.

Comment

Working...
                  X