Filling the freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filling the freezer

Hey guys the freezer is getting low and I burned all my draw points last year for hunts. I really doubt I'll draw this year so I need ideas for places to go fill the freezer. Also I have only eaten white tail but not opposed to trying something with a similar taste. I'll need the equivalent of three white tail doe to make it through the year. Ideas or suggestions please. Of course being the tight wad I am I'd like to do it on a budget. I'm aware I'll have to pay just want to keep it as reasonable as possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

PM sent.

Comment

Might sound like a silly question... how big of WT does do you normally take? In the Hill Country, our does run about 80 lbs live weight, meaning I get about 30lbs a doe of meat.

There are some exotics that will give you that much meat with one arrow. A mature red deer hind comes to mind.

Comment

About what you mentioned last year I killed two spikes and a 10 point on draw hunts and just ran out of meat. I'm thinking of a red deer hind but not sure how they taste

Comment

Red stag tastes delicious! Axis is also good.

Comment

I don't know what all the fuss is about on the axis. They are good, but there is no way I can tell the difference in them and whitetail. Don't misunderstand me, I would never turn a chance down at one as I have a bucket list Axis Buck to figure out at some point.

Comment

Red deer are awesome! Go to the Grasslands during bow season and shoot a couple does if you're not looking to spend any money Dave. If you're willing to spend some money I highly recommend red deer!

Comment

I really need to figure out the grasslands I'm kinda intimidated for some reason. I may call buff and a couple of other leads on a red deer.

Comment

Working...
                X