Longbows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longbows?

I hope some of you guys can give me some pointers on longbows. I have shot recurves for many years now. My favorite is a Bob Lee Signature takedown. It is 62" and 49@28. I have never shot a longbow. Until recently, I never had the urge to shoot one, let alone purchase one. Can you guys give me some pointers on the similarities as well as differences between shooting recurves and longbows? Also maybe some advice on an entry level longbow or maybe some of you even have an entry level used one for sale. I am not quite ready to drop the bucks on a custom longbow just yet. Any pointers and general information is greatly appreciated.

The two most common differences - generally speaking - are in the shelf and the grip. I also have a Bob Lee recurve with a standard grip, which is pretty deep. MOST longbows have a significantly straighter grip. Also, MOST longbows have a significantly smaller shelf - not centercut like many recurves. When I go back and forth between the two it takes me a while to recalibrate my brain, mostly because the different grip changes point of impact. (for me, arrows hit higher with the longbow)

Comment

It really depends. Some longbows are heavy, have pistol grips, cut to center shelfs, have reflex-deflex and practically shoot like recurves. I have gone back and forth about getting one, and it is easy to gravitate towards the ones that shoot like recurves, but for me personally, I haven't seen the point in doing so (other than having another bow to shoot!)

I am personally gravitating towards longbows that have a very small profile grip, are straight stick limbs (no reflex-deflex.) For me, they are different enough that they have their own character. I'm actually settling on selfbows to fulfill my desire to have a longbow.

I will say this. I have shot several longbows over the past year. Just like recurves, they all have their subtle differences. I don't think there is anything wrong with liking one over the other... or not liking certain types. It all comes down to personal preference and motivation.

Comment

The feel of the draw is different and takes some getting used to for me. I love my longbows but to me a recurve shoots more smoothly and draws more smoothly in general. There are exceptions to the rule of course. Modern longbows tend to be more easily transitioned into due to grip etc. A hill style takes some getting used to. One good thing is longbows hold their value pretty well so that if you hate it you can sell it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Generally speaking, like was said above, there are a lot of reflex/deflex longbows that are very similar to and perform just as well as a lot of the recurves out there. There are a lot of little differences among that group of longbows as well, it just depends on personal preference and getting the opportunity to shoot some and decide what you like and don't like. Like jerp said, the grip is probably the biggest difference as far as shooting goes just because most modern longbows (besides most straight limb hill style bows) have some sort of pistol/positive placement style grip like a recurve but most are still lower than a recurve grip unless it is a 50's style recurve grip. The other main difference that I notice most often is, all things being equal, the mass weight in MOST recurves is usually heavier than a longbow just because of more material used in the riser

Comment

I own, and shoot both, and with that being said, I'm a longbow man! I just like/prefer the way the limbs "unload" at the shot on a longbow versus a recurve. I can feel the limbs oscillate forward on a recurve, whereas on a my longbows, it's more of just one "thump". I also (probably because I shoot them more ) am more accurate with my longbows. Although, I have an ol Bear Grizzly that I'm gettin purty salty with I like shootin my old Bear Super Mag 48 also, but that short sucker is a bit more finicky! Like was said above many times, it usually just kinda becomes a preference... And I just like longbows more! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

P.S., I don't mention the Bear Super Mag much, cuz SwampRabbit wants one TOOO MUCH! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by spidermonkey View Post
                P.S., I don't mention the Bear Super Mag much, cuz SwampRabbit wants one TOOO MUCH! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
                Dagnabbit Rusty... just when I thought my ventures with selfbow building got the shorty-curve out of my mind...

Comment

Swampy, ifn we ever do meet, I'll be sure and bring it and let ya hold it... Just put a new black/blue b-50 Flemish string from Michael Harbison on it, and I made some matching "Rick Barbee Style" yarn puffs for it! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Have you considered buying Bob Lee longbow limbs?

Comment

Originally posted by 76aggie View Post
                      I hope some of you guys can give me some pointers on longbows. I have shot recurves for many years now. My favorite is a Bob Lee Signature takedown. It is 62" and 49@28. I have never shot a longbow. Until recently, I never had the urge to shoot one, let alone purchase one. Can you guys give me some pointers on the similarities as well as differences between shooting recurves and longbows? Also maybe some advice on an entry level longbow or maybe some of you even have an entry level used one for sale. I am not quite ready to drop the bucks on a custom longbow just yet. Any pointers and general information is greatly appreciated.

Buy a set of Longbow limbs for the Bob Lee riser

Comment

I have a bob Lee recurve I killed some animals last year with loved it shoots good smooth and fast . I really like it but I also wanted to shoot a long bow for tbot shoots . Well I went to bob sarrels and shot his bows they are half the price of the lees . I purchased a long bow from him as well as a few other bows he had . His long bow is the only one I pic up it is scary how well it shoots I love it . Don't over look his bows all I'm saying go to Austin and shoot them find you one you like .

Comment

Thanks for all the input gentlemen. One of the reasons I was looking into a longbow was to be able to shoot additional divisions in 3 D or TBOT shoots. I don't get time for these events very often but have really enjoyed them in the past. There were a couple of comments about putting Bob Lee longbow limbs on my recurve riser but I seem to recall that TBOT or other Traditional groups have restrictions on this sort of riser in the longbow class. Is this the case?

I am also going to look into the longbows made by Mr. Sarrels.

Comment

I'd check out Dry Creek Bow Co. in Grayson county. I own several of his bows (two longbows) and they are TOP NOTCH! Check out his work on his website. He is a nice guy to do business with as well.

Comment

My best offer is to go to a bow shoot with a lot of vendors and shoot every longbow you can find. That way, you will have a good feel for what best suits you.

I shoot recurves and longbows but I love my Longbows. With the new Reflex/Deflex longbows, you get almost (if not) the same performance as a recurve and in some cases more performance than a recurve. I have shot and owned more longbows than I can recall but do yourself a favor and shoot a Sarrells Blueridge (or S/R shortriser) longbow. One of the best performers out there and the grip is great.

Best of luck to ya.
                              Doug

Comment

Working...
                              X