How much does your draw length vary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much does your draw length vary?

I'm building some new arrows and thought I would recheck my draw length as I have heard it can change over time. I had my wife mark an arrow when I was at full draw and it was longer than the 28" I expected. I decided to see how much it varies while shooting so I set up a camera zoomed in on my riser. I marked an arrow at 1/2" increments and shot about 25 arrows over about 30 minutes. I was surprised to see how much my draw length varied. The range was from about 27.5" to just over 29". That may not seem significant but an inch is enough to affect spine and thus arrow flight. Of the several causes of short-drawing, the two I seem to be guilty of are collapsing, (not enough chest expansion) and not keeping my head upright. (turkey necking) I tend to use a "pull through" release which sometimes leads to overdrawing as well. I have never used a clicker but I might get one for practice in the off season. Anyway, if you are getting some inconsistent flight and have not been able to diagnose the cause, you might find a way to make sure your draw length is consistent.

After about 30 targets my draw length goes to hell in a hand basket. I can't seem to develop enough stamina to shoot much more than 25 targets consistently. My new focus is to try and have a consistent draw length for 50 shots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a great view I believe I do that as well .

Comment

I used to shoot split finger and had a really solid anchor with three different references that I think stabilized my draw length.

When I switched to three under, I only have one reference point and I think that makes a difference. I am not sure how much my draw length varies, but, for me, I still think three under is more accurate.

Wayne

Comment

I have the same problem. I'm going to try to build up my back muscles so that I can hold tension more consistently. Would a clicker be noisy when hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A weak arrow is your friend on cold hunting mornings.
            I took a cloth pin holder to see how much I collapse my back on cold mornings.
            My draw length in a perfect form is 28.25" with a cold and stiff arms in a cold morning my draw length dropped to 26.50".

So no just in case my hunting arrows I make them on the weak side

Comment

My draw fluctuates +/- 1/4". Also, sitting down at certain angles messes with being able to get to full draw. This and a litany of other reasons is why I like 12 yd shots and hunting animals with large vital areas.

Comment

Mine has changed too, just since I first started in December. At first it was around 28'', but now that I've got my form consistent, started expanding my chest and getting my bow arm out right it's 29''.

Comment

That is the very reason that Olympic shooters use a clicker. It not only has an effect on spine but short drawing can cause low shots. I have considered ordering one from Lancaster just to see if it helps my accuracy.

Comment

Mine changes every time unfortunately.lol. Arvin

Comment

I've been shooting with a clicker lately. Setting it up was a PITA until I got it set right because my draw length not being consistent.

Comment

Working...
                      X