Clear All

Getting Started (Tune Assistance)

Haven't touched dad's recurve since 90's
    Bow 43# @ 28" (Advertised 45# @ 28")
    Arrow 340 Spine 32" @ 325.7gr.
    Point weights tested 125gr, 150gr, and 200gr
    Shoot off shelf with glove.
    Brace Height 7.30"

My arrows seem to be fishtailing and porpoising.
    I don't know where to start in tuning. Any advice would be appreciated.
    I am gap shooting (judge me)!

My point of aim is the black tab on the bottom in the middle.
    125gr Point @ 10 Yards
    150gr Point @ 10 Yards
    200gr Point @ 10 Yards

125gr Point @ 20 Yards
    150gr Point @ 20 Yards
    200gr Point @ 20 yards

I you haven't shot since de 90's, I would just shoot.
    You wont be able to tune if you're not consistent.
    A 340 spine does sound very stiff for a 43# bow.
    Whats your draw length?

Comment

Originally posted by MEsquivel View Post
      Whats your draw length?
      I agree on both points. A 340 is going to be way too stiff - I shoot 340s from a 55lb bow and it takes 250gr out front for them to fly straight. I also agree that at this point trying to tune arrows will just be frustrating. For now just stand real
      close and work on developing a repeatable draw, anchor and release. Depending on draw length and tip weight I'm guessing a 500 spine will work. Most of all have fun!

Comment

If you want to shoot carbons I'd recommend 500 or 600 spine depending on Lot of variables. If aluminum I'd start with 2018 and woods I'd start with 50-55#. Draw length string material and many other things can cause you to move up or down

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MEsquivel View Post
          Whats your draw length?
          X3

Comment

I agree with most of what was said above, esp the part about not worrying about tuning right off the bat, and learning a repeatable shot. The one thing above that I would not agree with would be the 2018 aluminum choice for a 43# bow. I would start more towards a 1916. Or maybe even 1816 at that draw weight.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              I agree on both points. A 340 is going to be way too stiff - I shoot 340s from a 55lb bow and it takes 250gr out front for them to fly straight. I also agree that at this point trying to tune arrows will just be frustrating. For now just stand real

close and work on developing a repeatable draw, anchor and release. Depending on draw length and tip weight I'm guessing a 500 spine will work. Most of all have fun!

What would be considered "consistent enough" to start bar shaft tuning?

Comment

Originally posted by JTBean View Post
                What would be considered "consistent enough" to start bar shaft tuning?
                This is just one man's opinion but I can just tell you what worked for me - some will agree, others will not. There can be a problem with practicing with arrows that are wrong for your bow. If they are flying high left for example you will instinctively and subconsciously start aiming low right to compensate - you don't want that, especially when you are starting out. My suggestion would be to spend several weeks "blank bailing" every day. Cover a target with a piece of carpet or something so there are no spots - it's just there to stop arrows. Stand 3-4 yards away and shoot, concentrating on one element of form at a time - grip, bow arm, draw, anchor, back tension, anchor, release. When you are not thinking about aiming you can concentrate on how the shot feels from start to finish. It also is a good way to experiment with the way you anchor until you settle on what is right for you. Most everybody's anchor points are slightly different. When you get to the point you feel like you are doing the same thing every time, then get to tuning.

Comment

Depends on draw length jerry for me a a full length 2018 tunes perfect at that weight with 150g broadhead

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

thanks folks looks like ill be selling some 340 arrows...

Comment

Zen, I'm pretty sure I got some spare 500's that could getcha started if ya ever get towards Sulphur Springs. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

What 340's are those?
                        Are they full length?

Comment

For the proposing raise your nocking point. For the fish tailing like otherss have said try some 500s.

Comment

Originally posted by spidermonkey View Post
                            Zen, I'm pretty sure I got some spare 500's that could getcha started if ya ever get towards Sulphur Springs. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
                            I won't be able to get out that direction any time soon. Let me reach out to one of my contacts and I will private message you. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BRIAN OKONSKI View Post
                              What 340's are those?
                              Are they full length?
                              Yep 32"

Comment

Working...
                              X