Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Out of the hospital back in the shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of the hospital back in the shop

Feels good to smell sawdust again. I'm finishing up a new longbow based on my interpretation of the Cari-Bow Silver Fox riser. I've been sliming my risers down and think this it getting close to what I'm after. 17" end to end, cut 1/8" past center, hickory with bloodwood beam, bloodwood/maple/fiberglass accent. I'm probably going to paint and paint dip this in a camo pattern as the wood is pretty plain. I put a coat of gloss on it to find and scratches that need to be worked. Working on the limbs now which are 45# at 28" which will go down a bit after final shaping and sanding. Not as nice as the Cari-Bow but I like the slim look and feel.

Way far advanced than what I'm working with lol
    Looking good! Can't wait to see the end product

Comment

Good to see you back!

Comment

Somebody cut the shelf on the wrong side of the riser! [emoji51]

Other than that, it looks pretty dang good!

Bisch

Comment

Looks good! Glad to hear you're back in the shop

Comment

Looking great so far!

I have to ask though, did you drill your limb bolt holes all the way through the riser on purpose or accidental? My wifes bow has plugs like that but it was a fix to correct an oooooppps!

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

TMiddleton this riser started out as a 19" riser that had the limb bolts coming from the belly side of the bow into blind nuts mounted in the limbs. I just salvaged the riser block because the other limbs were too heavy and I could't just throw it out. So it has plugs to fill the old holes. Didn't know if I'd like this riser style but I'm liking it more. May build another one. Going to build a set of 55# limbs to go with these 44# limbs.

Comment

I really like the style and design, let us know how she shoots when you get done.

Comment

Put me down as another "like" on the riser design!

Comment

Bisch switch you may like it LOL

Comment

WTK, I have honestly thought about trying to shoot left handed. I do a lot of stuff with either hand and only started shooting bows right handed because they were the easiest to find. I had a Bear polar with the double shelf and enjoyed both ways from it, however it was not well cared for previously and came apart while shooting. More people could possibly shoot left handed just as well as right if they would try it.

Comment

I have a left handed friend that is right eye dominant (shooting a left handed bow). He kept suffering from right impacts even though the arrows were properly spined. I went and got a right handed bow and stuck it in his hands and he started stacking them in the bull. He just stood there shaking his head and said, "I never would have believed you!"

Dominant eye is very important

Comment

Well limbs on, stippled the grip, satin finish over gloss, and got some shots through it. Really liking the light weight and feel of the low grip. Not a screamer but smooth, silent, and crisp.
                            Unbraced

Braced

28" draw

Pin/standard nock cross

Stippled grip

Force Draw Curve
                            Last edited by WTK; 05-21-2016, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Heck. Don't sell yourself short...a 43# bow shooting a 10 GPP arrow at 182 FPS is not shabby at all. I think it is darned good. The only problem I see is what Bisch said, the shelf is on the wrong side.

Doug Key

Comment

Working...
                              X