Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Bare shaft tuning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bare shaft tuning question

I'm working on bare shaft tuning. I feel like my spine is good at this point because the side to side arrow flight looks good. But, I'm hitting about 2"-3" nock high at about 10-15 yards. Is this something that the fletching will correct or do I need to adjust nock height??

Depends what your nock height is at already

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

Without knowing for sure if your form is clean it is hard to completely identify the problem. If your arrows are landing knock high the first response to me would be that the knocking point is not correct. However I have noticed on days where I start plucking the string I have all sorts of flight issues from arrows that I know have tuned up correctly. As a simple check on equipment I normally knock my arrows completely level tie a small piece of string then start moving my knock point up as needed. If at any point the knock gets above about 1/4 inch above level I start over only I grab a fletched arrow and pay extra close attention to my release and follow through. Then repeat the bare shaft.
      Some never bare shaft tune their equipment, and yet others preach it. You just have to find out what works for you.
      May be a little long winded but hope it helps.

Comment

This is my first trad bow and I'm sure my form has to be part of the issue. But, I'm consistently flying straight with the bare shaft, it's just impacting nock high. My nock point is 5/8" high.

Comment

bmc:

All of my bows are set at 5/8". Myself, my wife and kids all shoot 3 under.
          I don't bareshaft tune, but I paper tune. I get bullet holes with nocking points set at 5/8".

My question to you is do you have 2 nocking points, one above and one below the arrow? Unless you cage the arrow, there is a possibility the arrow is sliding down the string and bouncing off the shelf.

Comment

Only one nock point. Do I just tie one on right below the arrow?

Comment

Originally posted by bmc09 View Post
              Only one nock point. Do I just tie one on right below the arrow?
              Yes sir...give it about 1/16" gap between the arrow nock and the bottom nocking point on the string.

Comment

Sounds good. I think I can handle that

Comment

Have you tried moving your nocking point down to see if that helps?

When I switched to a tie on point, it slowly moved up over time and I developed a nock high flight. It wasn't much, just 1/8". I had to lower it back to get straight flight (and put a dab of glue to keep my point from moving)

If moving the nock lower doesn't help, then it could be something else like form or stiffness, etc.

BTW, what kind of target are you using. You need to have a good dense foam target to rule out kick caused by the target material.

Comment

Mine was doin that. I sanded the inside of my nocks until they just grabbed the string. That fixed a lot of issues. It really surprised me.

Comment

Originally posted by bmc09 View Post
                      I'm working on bare shaft tuning. I feel like my spine is good at this point because the side to side arrow flight looks good. But, I'm hitting about 2"-3" nock high at about 10-15 yards. Is this something that the fletching will correct or do I need to adjust nock height??
                      Take a look a this thread

Ben does a good job explaining how to do a bareshaft tune. I have found a couple different methods for using a bareshaft to tune. One involves just looking at the bareshaft flight and impact into a suitably uniform and dense target. the other is to compare where the bareshafts hit in comparison to fletched shafts cut to the same length.

I tend to initially use just the bareshaft to get into the ballpark. If my shaft is flying sideways, nock left or right consistently, then I can start trimming or adding weight up front until I get it close. Then I confirm by fletching one shaft and comparing the two (can take a couple shots to show a pattern of consistency.)

Comment

Working...
                      X