Your worst miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your worst miss

Okay, it has been too quiet around here. Lets hear about your worst miss, specifically the big whiff.

While there are about a dozen consecutive misses on squirrels that resonate, the one whiff that stands out for me is the arrow I sent right in front of a javis face last year at 15 yards. A far cry from the shoulder area I was looking at. To this day I can see that arrow and to this day I have no clue what the heck happened.

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
    Okay, it has been too quiet around here. Lets hear about your worst miss, specifically the big whiff.

While there are about a dozen consecutive misses on squirrels that resonate, the one whiff that stands out for me is the arrow I sent right in front of a javis face last year at 15 yards. A far cry from the shoulder area I was looking at. To this day I can see that arrow and to this day I have no clue what the heck happened.
    'Javelina Fever" it's real

Comment

Well my worse would be when I first started bow hunting, I had a group of young pigs ( 8 to be exact) I flung a arrow, they ran off but came back! . Crap! I missed high I guess. Second time, the same thing!! I missed again. All 8 came back! Finally punched one but dang I was ticked at myself.

Comment

My worst miss happened not to long ago on a large white boar with black spots. He was dead asleep under a brush pile at 20 yards. I let the arrow fly through an opening and hit a branch. It deflected the arrow and stuck into the trunk of the tree. He jumped up and ran off. I was so mad that I hadn't seen that twig in the way!

Comment

He would have been my biggest hog and had I of gotten him he would have been a head mount for sure with the colors and large cutters.

Comment

Probably sometime around 1987 or 1988, I was up in a tree behind my house in Oklahoma and had 3 arrows. I immediately dropped one when I got in the tree after school . A fat doe came in about 20yds and I sent an arrow about 2 feet over her back and she ran in a huge circle and came back the the same spot where I then shot one right under her and she ran another circle and and milled around under me for another 30 min while I sat there with no more arrows. I was 13 or so and it would have been my first archery deer and I was just sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can't recall ever missing.............

.........but then, I have selective memory.........

Comment

My worst miss was on my first shot in Africa. I had a nice kudu bull come in and stop broadside. I shot low and hit him in the brisket. His size and long legs fooled me into thinking he was closer than he was. We never found him and since in Africa, if you draw blood you have to pay the trophy fee, that shot cost me $900 dollars. I did get a nice kudu later on that trip.

Comment

Mine was with a rifle 6 years ago. I was hunting opening morning at our old place in hebbronville. I spent 5 days scouting and had patterned a 6 yo 9 point that was tecnicaly a cull but we all loved it. We estimated the deer to go low 150's and it's g2 twisted two times on the way to the tip. His name was twist.

I got settled in the blind and does started piling up in the fed pen. As all the does, 4 in total lifter their heads to look behind them. Twist running buddy popped out of the brush, he was a nice young 8 at the time. I got ready and was glassine the brush when the first buck came out. My heart rate was already amping up and the wine and scotch from the night before fogged my thoughts and dulled my sharpness. With my head pounding and seemingly out of nowhere twist suddenly jumped in the feed pen and was looking right at me. I attempted to gather my self and pushed my 280 out the window of the blind while Twist was munching on corn. He was nervous and jittery, I just couldn't get on him. I decided to hold on him and make a grunt call so he would stop and I was gonna put him down when he did. I held on him and made a grunt, he din't react, I made a louder one and nothing. I made a really loud ground and he spun around and lifted his head up, not broad side but directly facing me. I put the cross hairs on the white patch and pulled the trigger. He ran with in 20 yards of the blind and high tailed it.

My brother killed that deer a week later, from the same blind.
                  Last edited by BBBGP; 04-20-2016, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I hit a warthog very low in the neck at 10 yds. Normally that would be a shot I could close my eyes and make. As I drew back with the PH over my shoulder with a video camera the target panic monkey started jumping up and down on my shoulder screaming shoot shoot into my ear. Very embarrassing.

I shot low and deflected off the bottom of the chest of a very nice HEAVY horned non-typical white tail at 18 yards. That one really really hurts.

Comment

I don't know about "worst" because I have had a few pretty bad ones over the years? But my most disappointing miss was on a red stag in Austrailia. The guide called in the stag and he was screaming all the way across the hillside towards us. He went quiet, and then popped out 16yds from me, but in a place neither me or the guide had expected. Anyway, I had to turn, draw, and release all in one motion, and I whiffed one right over his back!

Like you, I can see that whole thing happen over and over again in my head every time I think about it.

Bisch

Comment

My worst trad miss was this past weekend. I got to hunt near Sonora (for Turkey) and there are some exotics that stay in the area. All Low Fence just to be clear. LOL
                        Anyway, as I was working my way down one of the roads I saw a nice Blackbuck trotting towards me. I sidestepped into a cedar and got ready. It all worked to perfect and the Blackbuck was inside of 15 yards when it made the clearing. The big mistake happened because I tried to draw right as it got parallel to me and not let it slightly pass. As I drew it leaped and I sent my arrow a foot under its belly. Those things can really jump. The blue flame that followed it out of there was all I had to see.

Comment

Missed a 151" 16pt low fence whitetail at 38yds with the bow
                          Last edited by bustacap; 04-20-2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bustacap View Post
                            Missed a 151" 16pt low fence whitetail at 38yds
                            Thinking back, there was a 140"+ 9pt missed in Mexico at about 80yds while I was laying down in a sendero with a 6.5 creedmoor.

Comment

This past year, Halloween. I had about a 140" 9 point come in to about 18 yds. Jittery as heck. i drew, anchored, shot all in 1 motion. My last though was..I can't believe I just drew on this deer undetected... I released before I finished dropping my pins down into the deadly V. Hit that buck high in the void and it sounded like a 22 when it hit him. A buddies son killed him a few weeks later. Not sure if it's my worst but it definitely hurt. Biggest deer I drew on this past season.

Comment

Working...
                              X