Bareshafting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bareshafting question

Playing with my wifes 35lb sammick sage and setting it up as a lighter bow for me to practice for form. Defletched 3 of my longbow arrows (making flu flus of them in the end) and started working on nock height. Started out around 1/2" high, shooting at around 15 yds. Bareshafts kept indicating nock high but good spine. Kept shooting at least 3 groups before making adjustments, but got down to just under 1/4" above the shelf before groups started to tune. That's the first thing that bugs me, but i also see that the lower limb is tillered about 1/4" more than the upper limb, and im a 3 under shooter. But still unsure if that makes things seem right. By this point the nock is right but now it shows stiff spine. Moved from 145 to 175 before it got close. Tomorrow i will go to 200 gr tips. For the record, these are beman 400 at 31". Not altering length since this is for fun/learning.

Something that gets me, that i wanted to ask about is....
    I got to a point where the groups i was shooting were unbelievable for me (at least lately, i used to shoot better). I had 145 tips still and the nock was probably about 3/8" or just a hair under. Bares were stiff and nock high, so shooting liw and left of fletched. Fletched were so tight that i finally got my first robinhood. I had about 4 rounds of fletched arrows touching each other before i made more adjustments.

My question for wise.... if you got to a point that arrows were grouping that tight, but the bares did not agree, would you keep tuning or spend more time with that tight group setup? I didn't do any varying of yardage, so for all i know, it was only good at that specific yardage. Should i try to raise the nock again and find that spot to spend more time there, even though the bareshafts disagree? Kind of wondering if the bareshaft method is always better than finding something like i did...

Sorry i make such a story of things, but i like telling my stories.. here's what my robinhood shot looked like and where the bareshafts were.

Nice robinhood, AJ! Not the best technical advisor for you, but you might want to shoot the lightning FSC shot first chance you get. You seem to be warmed up!

Comment

I'm going to try, first chance i get with the weather forecast Houston has this week. I wanted to do last weeks but my wife had surgery and couldn't make it happen. In years past i used to be all over them. I should have gotten in long before now as this is the longest string of fsc i have seen continue before dying out

Comment

Best wishes for your wife. Definite higher priority than playing with stickbows.

Comment

Thanks. She's doing fine. Elective surgery to remove gal bladder. She got stones while pregnant last year. All my time was spent caring for our twin boys. She came home today.

For the record, my boys are named beau and hunter. How cool is it that i convinced her some-what name them after my passion....?

Comment

Greatness! Beau and Hunter! If you're not in sales, you should be. Glad to know your wife's home and good.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
              Greatness! Beau and Hunter! If you're not in sales, you should be. Glad to know your wife's home and good.
              Before we knew it was twins, i suggested beau hunter one night through text. She said cool... til she got it. Once we knew twin boys, she was good with those for first names as long as one got a middle name from each side of the family. Beau Joseph because Joseph runs through at least 3 generations on my side. Hunter james, cause james was her dads name and hunter was her grandpas name

Comment

All very cool! Sorry to derail your arrow-tuning thread. I'm sure Rick, Bisch or others can chime in to guide your technical questions.

Comment

No worries. That's what I'm hoping for regardless. I think this is the year i try to go all trad during hunting season so i may have lots of questions coming up soon. Really been considering selling the compound for and ilf riser and start the trek into that game

Comment

If you plan on shooting broadheads, finish tuning. IMO. More consistency at longer yardages as well with tuned set up.

Comment

Kind of what i figured. Won't shoot broadheads from this one. But just started to wonder when the groups got so tight

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                        Sorry i make such a story of things, but i like telling my stories..
                        You won't hear me complain... you are in good company here

As to your question. I honestly don't know. I personally shoot a little bit weak because that allows the arrow to hit where I like to look. It probably shoots a little bit better if I were to keep it a bit stiffer. I think that maybe another arrow combination might work better... yet I like the weight that I am at. So I just live with it being a bit weak so it flies where I want it to fly. I don't know if that is right or wrong... but I have killed critters with the setup and have gotten pass thrus when I should have gotten pass thrus, so I am happy with it.

BTW, hope you are handling this weather well where you are up there. So far we are good.

Comment

You really need to get the bare shafts lined out. Your broadheads are going to hit where your bare shafts are hitting. The better tuned any set-up is the better it will shoot for you my friend.

Comment

Ok. This one was kind of a learning curve with how low the nock point got and the grouping differences. It's all for fun but the one that matters starts next week.

SR, I'm on a hill so we're all good. My folks across the street almost got trapped. The pond is the low point on the land and spans the property except for the driveway dam. Water rose to within a foot of topping the driveway dam. Overflow pipe isn't moving fast enough

Comment

Working...
                            X