Dogwood arrows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dogwood arrows?

Hey everyone, I need a bundle of dogwood shafts, at least ten and up to fifty of them. Rough cut or stripped or whatever really. I was overseas still during the cold months, now they are too sappy. I was gone over a year and I am doing some bow hunting all through this year, but I don't have any arrows. Thanks!

Now is a bad time to cut em ??

Comment

Well some cut them at anytime, but by tradition and reliability, the cold months produce a better shaft. The sap goes deep in the roots and out of the main arrow wood so when you strip, dry, cure, bend the shaft it has more integrity. Some say it doesn't but I think it does. I don't cut my Bois d ark in other time frame but between December and the end of February. It's tradition but it serves a good purpose. To sum it up, cold months less sap arrow is harder, warm months more sap arrow takes longer to cure and is more prone to breaking.

Comment

Gotcha...cause i just cut a bunch two weeks ago...and wasnt concerned with that...just thought you knew something i didnt...thanks for the info !!

Comment

No worries man, I know a man that bundles his about thirty with the bark on and ties them in a shallow creek with fast water and that flushes the excess sap out of the shafts. Just another trick if I can't find some shafts.

Comment

I would sure like to see some of your finished arrows , sounds cool

Comment

Sounds good LAW if I can find some shafts I'll get some made up fast

Comment

Working...
              X