What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am I doing wrong?

I can nail 3D targets in the kill zone all day but cannot hit a dot. I don't gap shoot. I do use the tip of the arrow in my peripheral to line up for left and right. My elevation is instinctual. It's like I can group arrows behind the shoulder of any target but if I aim at my first arrow I will miss the entire vitals. It's strange.

what is your arrow set up? And is there a certain distance you get a more eradic pattern than others? im sure you are a very effective archer. I had the same thing with my longbow and recurve. I don't use any aiming reference truly. I shoot very canted and with a pinch grip. Do you use a three under or split release? My cure was changing the feathers from left to right helical, and trying vanes on wraps. It helped tremendously with the arrow I wanted to use. Hope this helps man.

Comment

Arrows are Easton axxis traditional 400 with 4" parabolic cut right wing feathers. Points are 250 grain. Split release, though,I've tried 3 under. I think I have a focus issue. At 20 yards I can hit small object such as golf ball or I can decide to shoot my target in the head and drill it. I have also been getting the kids to throw wiffle softballs in the air and have done quite well hitting them with flu flu arrows tipped with blunts. If I shoot at a bag target for the dots, my confidence goes out the window.

Comment

I can hit 3 dimensional objects better than a dot on a flat target face too. I dont know why - must be some kind of focus issue

Comment

I don't know the answer because I guess I struggle with certain targets too. This is why I really try and mix it up as much as I can. I don't leave targets in the back yard and I have 3-4 targets to pick from when I walk out the back door. I have a burlap bag target that has different color dots painted on them, a 3D deer, a 18:1, balloons, and now Easter eggs. Having different things to focus on seems to help.

I will say this. The spots on the bags really throws me off easily. And I've noticed that a couple colors really give me a hard time as well. A darker color I can usually hit pretty well, but orange and yellow give me grief.

In fact, I repainted my 18:1 from that yellow/green to red and my accuracy was a little better.

Also, 3D targets where I cannot see the scoring circles also gives me problems as I tend to draw up the leg and aim just above where the leg meets the brisket. If I can see scoring rings, I can focus on those and ignore the armpit. But when I try to aim for that area without visible rings, I can feel my mind fighting the urge to shoot "more forward."

Comment

I can hit 3 dimensional objects better than a dot on a flat target face too. I dont know why - must be some kind of focus issue

Comment

I don't have a prob;em with one spot, but I hate multiple spots on the same target. it is very hard for me to get the focus on one spot if it is surrounded by a bunch of others.

Bisch

Comment

Thanks all. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who's picky on what I'm looking at.

Comment

I have this problem, but I have Target Panic.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    I don't have a prob;em with one spot, but I hate multiple spots on the same target. it is very hard for me to get the focus on one spot if it is surrounded by a bunch of others.

Bisch
                    Same here!

When I repainted my 18:1, I made one spot instead of the 5 spot center. I use that target a lot for tuning and so it was killing me the pattern that was on it.

When I made my burlap bag targets, I had one with a center spot... no problem. When I put more spots with different colors, it made it harder, even though they are like 7" apart. I use that bag just so I can practice focus with distractions. The further away I am... the harder it is.

Comment

You are doing what I call "Zone Shooting".

You are used to seeing the whole vital area in your sight picture, and have adjusted said sight picture to place the arrow where you want it in the vital area.

The only way to shoot spots (whether it be a spot on paper, a spot on a 3D, or a spot on a live animal) is to practice shooting spots.

A spot don't have to be a dot on a piece of paper. The best thing I ever did for my shooting was to start shooting at small 3D objects like golf balls & such.

I always pick a spot on a target (whatever the target) to shoot at. If there's no spot there, I imagine one (usually an imagined golf ball), so I guess you could say I'm a spot shooter even on a live animal.

It'll come to you if you practice it enough.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                        Same here!

When I repainted my 18:1, I made one spot instead of the 5 spot center. I use that target a lot for tuning and so it was killing me the pattern that was on it.

When I made my burlap bag targets, I had one with a center spot... no problem. When I put more spots with different colors, it made it harder, even though they are like 7" apart. I use that bag just so I can practice focus with distractions. The further away I am... the harder it is.
                        I guess it is not spots in general, but multiple spots that throw me off. A few years ago I made a DIY "Lifetime Target" that is 40"x40". The face is carpet and starting out I painted 9 spots on it. When I replaced the carpet I left it blank and now just pin-up one spot at a time. I have spots from quarter-sized up to about 6" in diameter which I use for long range practice ( I can't see the small spots from beyond 25 yards)

Comment

I love the fact that Mr Barbee has names for all the mistakes that we make.

He's done made 'em, and named 'em. :-)

He has been there, done that, and amuses himself by harnessing grapes, and bisecting them as they SWING at 15 yards.

WOW!!! isn't strong enough, but it's all I got. :-)

I bought 3 tennis balls for $1.58 at Walmart last week, and have been having a BALL shooting at them in my pasture since.

They are about the size of a rabbit head or deer heart, and a center hit is very satisfying!

Ball jumps, arrow jumps; much fun.

I shoot an Ace Hex head, which doesn't slip off, but so far doesn't puncture the ball either.

As others said, I hit much better with a small single target than with a buncho'dots on a bag.

As a hunter, I can't imagine why I'd want to change that.

Joe
                          Last edited by RoyseCity; 04-04-2016, 02:14 PM.

Comment

This is one of the thing that helped me,take it for what its worth.This is the base of a road cone that i cut! It's about 8" wide,its the medium size one.It really make me concentrate on a spot,because the Flo.orange really catches your eye.As you move farther away,you inside diameter gets smaller.It really tighten my groups trying to put them inside the cone.I have four long pins that is use to stick it on a block-type target.It really will test you shooting out of a tree stand!
                            Ernie
                            Attached Files

Comment

Great advice fellas! I'll have to try that cone trick. That sounds right up my alley.

Comment

Working...
                              X