Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's Lunch

Last rabbit kill.

Lightly seasoned with a cyan citrus seasoning in a 10 minute par boil, then salt & pepper rubbed, and fried to lightly brown.

Garnished with some tasty veggies.

Don't be jealous.

Rick
    Attached Files

Looks good

Comment

Nice vittles

Comment

So I'm going to ask the question because I don't know any better. Does your wife do the cooking or do you? That sounds really good. By the way, I know rabbits can/do carry worms or some sort of parasite in the meat during the summer months. When do you prefer to take them for consumption purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
          So I'm going to ask the question because I don't know any better. Does your wife do the cooking or do you? That sounds really good. By the way, I know rabbits can/do carry worms or some sort of parasite in the meat during the summer months. When do you prefer to take them for consumption purpose?
          When eating stuff like this I do all my own cooking.

The old rule of thumb is, rabbits are good to eat during any month with an "R" in it.

That said, jackrabbits are really the ones you need to be concerned about.
          I eat cottontail anytime. They occasionally have worms (fly larva called bots) cattle get them also. When they have worms, I just cut out the area around where the worm is/was, and discard it while doing the field dressing.

Rick

Comment

I do 2 things. Check liver for spots and check meat for worms. A bot fly larvae will show up under the skin sometimes on a jack. They are pretty harmless and you can usually pluck them off. Just cook the meat thoroughly as always.

About 1 in 4 of my dear skulls have had bot larvae in their sinus/naval cavity.

I field dress with gloves, just to be safe, until I can see a healthy liver.

Comment

Thanks for the information men. Happy hunting.

Comment

Looks good, but growing up ate way to many I guess. Don't care for them or squirrels any more, no matter how they are cooked, fried, crook pot, boiled. Them and ducks are a no go.

Comment

Working...
                X