Back quiver dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back quiver dimensions

I'm having a local saddle maker make me a back quiver. Do y'all have any dimensions to help me out with? I told him to make it 22" in length so it will fit me right. 7" opening at the top tapered down to a 5" end cap. If there is anything y'all would change let me know. I only want to carry 6 or so arrows

I'm sure others know a lot more about this than I do, but I have been working on it for a while myself.

First, I applaud the saddle maker route.

I like plain leather. Good leather is beautiful, and embellishments just detract from that simple beauty to me.

What a saddle maker can't do is fit it to you just by some measurements, as a top maker like Steve Catts or Nate Steen can. They might help you out if you asked.

I made mine out of buffalo hide, and spent quite awhile dialing in the fit, so the arrows are always where I reach for them.

Expect to move your strap attachment points, and strap length, around for awhile. At least I did.

Mine is 5" diameter, untapered. I prefer the look of an untapered quiver, a la Howard Hill. The bottom is 6"x3", and the top lays similarly on my back. Overall length is 21", but I only draw 26".

Holds way more arrows than I would ever carry in the field, but that's Ok with me.

Howard used his quiver like a daypack, and a game bag. I have used mine to carry other stuff too.

Narrow tapered quivers look weird to me, but that's just me.

Joe
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RoyseCity; 03-29-2016, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Joe- I guess I had the right idea I took a yardstick and put it on my back where I wanted the bottom to be and marked it to where the top wanted to be and that's how I got 22" because I too have a short DL at 26.5... I kinda like the look of the untapered too that's why I am trying to get as many ideas as I can. I went earlier and talked with him and showed him some pics of what I want so he can get an idea. You said that the diameter is 5" so I'm trying to understand what is 6x3" could you explain please?

Comment

You bet. 5" diameter is if I mash the top into a circle. It lays on my back at 6"x3", and that is the shape of the laced bottom.

Oh, and if I was making mine again, it would be 22" tall, too. Doesn't really matter, but mine looks a bit too short.

Joe

Comment

Thanks Joe makes perfect sense!

Comment

Working...
          X