Trad Texas Ram Slam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trad Texas Ram Slam?

Has anybody completed the Texas Ram Slam with trad gear?

What exactly is it?

Comment

Sounds cool

Comment

Not completed! I have shot 2 Corsicans, a mouflon, and an aoudad!

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
          What exactly is it?
          Here it is. I guess Thompson Temple came up with it in the 70s/80s? I didn't realize that until just now looking into it and finding a link that describes it. I had heard about it before when doing research on ram hunting a while back.

In 1984, qualifying entries into the record book were divided into bronze, silver, and gold categories, according to score. Also in 1984, special awards were originated for the Texas Slam (the taking of a Corsican ram, mouflon ram, Texas dall ram, and Hawaiian black ram) and the Super Slam (the taking of an axis deer, fallow deer, sika deer, blackbuck antelope, mouflon sheep, aoudad, Corsican sheep, ibex, red deer, and Catalina goat). These programs have been a tremendous success.

You know me, I'm not all that into records, etc; but I am into having a list of stuff you'd like to hunt. I'm just curious if anybody has taken all 4 that somebody a long time ago (at least for me ) dubbed the Texas Ram Slam.

Corsican ram, Mouflon ram, Texas Dall ram, and Hawaiin Black ram.

Comment

Longer story shorter... this past weekend, a parishioner that I serve with on Altar guild at our church thanked me again for letting them have the shank of the ram I shot at Buff's back in February. They used it for the Passover meal on Saturday evening as part of the instructional meal during Holy Week. I gave her the two that I had trimmed up to try out myself. She said she froze one just in case I didn't shoot one next year.

That is when it got me thinking... and you know how that goes.

Comment

I shot a mouflon with temple 20 years ago. It was like hunting domestic sheep.

Comment

I have gotten everything on the list for Super Slam except ibex and sika deer.

I need a Texas Dall and a Black hawaiian for the Ram Slam.

Bisch

Comment

I'm not thinking about going out and booking some ram hunts just to chase the slam. But I was thinking if I hunt a place and they happen to have them on there, I am thinking I might continue to be opportunistic about it and work down the list.

Comment

It would be fun I think given a good outfitter. Temple was booming back then and would go to the sale and buy rams to be shot that weekend.

Comment

I have the TEXAS Slam! Shot Corsican, Hawaiian & Mouflon with Compound, took the Dall with my recurve.

Comment

I have and I have never booked a hunt or headed to a stand with the intention of shooting a Sheep.
                        They just kinda walk past me or I wander up on them and I cant help myself

We went on a hog hunt one time, 5 or 7 years ago and I heard someone say, "Hey Mark a sheep just ran past me with an arrow in it.... I wonder who shot it ?"
                        Mark said " I dont know but it is better than even odds it was Buff"

He was right

Comment

flipped that "its getting away switch"!

Comment

If I recall correctly, at least 3, and maybe all 4, stood placidly beside the road at Big Oak as we drove into, and then back out from, the 3D shoot last month in the UTV.

I particularly remember the white one. Beautiful animal. Just gorgeous.

I asked Buff about them, and he said they were all color variations of the same species.

Whatever floats your boat.

Joe

Comment

Okay, look, I have had some fun hunts with TT, and I killed several sheep on those trips. I think he did a lot to promote exotic hunting in Texas, and I mean no disrespect....but I think it probably went something like this.

I have a whole bunch of these "Corsican" type sheep. How can I get these guys to keep shooting them? I know, I will call each of the colors a different sheep and challenge them to get one of each. Each hunter now needs four.

If you asked me, and no one has....any sheep slam would have to include more than just those....what about aoudad? four horns? red sheep? painted desert, etc....
                              I am not completely sure which ones are separate species and which ones are just races.

Comment

Working...
                              X