Africa again, first time archery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't hunted Africa with a bow, but some old rifle-hunting friends invited me to join them on a 2017 hunt.

I would be the only bowhunter, but I love these folks and have hunted both stateside and in Africa with them. We get along, even in tough circumstances.

I very much want to go.

Our PH doesn't normally cater to bowhunters, but he is a great guy, and thinks he can make it work. I've never known Danie to blow smoke, so I'm inclined to believe him.

He understands that I need to be inside 30, and preferably around 20.

There won't be any issues among us clients about who shoots what, or who gets more attention. We're real close friends.

Soooo....for you experienced Trad African hands, do you see any problems here that I haven't considered?

Also, I'm shooting a 53# Sarrels BlueRidge, with ~600g arrows. My main quarry will be zebra and gemsbok/oryx.

Reckon I ought to get Bob to make me some heavier limbs? I can shoot 60+, but I can shoot 53 all day.

Any advice appreciated.

Joe

Good luck brother

Comment

I killed my gemsbok (and kudu, and red hartebeest, and Nyala, and waterbuck) with my 50# Blueridge, and all but one of my shots were under 20yds. I was hunting a waterhole though. The key with any weight is to put the arrow in the right place with a really, really sharp broadhead. What outfitter are you hunting with?

Bisch
      Last edited by Bisch; 03-25-2016, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Danie Van Graan, Engonyameni Safararis, Bisch.

I first hunted with him with my mentor in firearms training, Colonel Jeff Cooper.

His area borders on Kruger Park. Great country.

Joe

Comment

Oh, and thanks, John. I'm grateful for your friendship.

Joe

Comment

I have hunted Africa several times with my recurve....forget 30 yards, these critters are thick skinned and you need to stay at 20 or less...all my animals have been 18 yards or less...I would recommend a 2 blade solid broad head....

Comment

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate an experienced opinion.

Not sure how thick skin relates to range, though.

Seems to me that range is an accuracy issue, and nothing more.

It's not unlikely that I'm missing something, though.

I am an old hand at missing things. :-)

Joe

Comment

Royce, I think he was referring to the ability to push through the skin into the vitals. The heavy skin is a slimline armor so to speak and getting much yardage only decreases the possible kinetic energy any arrow can have. The closer your target the more energy your arrow is carrying. Course as you said. point of impact is paramount.

Comment

I would not shoot past 20, and I would have them fix me set ups that were closer than that. I got to a water hole one time, and they back side was 30 yards away. I had the PH get the trackers to cut thorn brush and brush in the back half of the blind so the animals would be forced to give me a 15 broadside.

Another time they put me in an elevated blind, but it really didn't work for a trad bow, you always in danger of smacking your limbs. I hunted there the one time, but told them to take me somewhere else for the afternoon.

Another time, I suggested we put out some bait. They were shocked as a lot of their hunters would not hunt over food bait. I really didn't see the difference in hunting water or food. I explained we hunt over food all the time back in the great nation of Texas. An hour later we had a bail of peanut hay in front of us and about 30 animals.

I guess my point here is communicate what you want, what you need, and they should be able to make it work well for you. As I am sure you know, you pay for anything wounded, even a non-lethal scratch, so get a set up that works for you.

I have all the animals on your list and they are big and tuff. I would go for the heavy limbs myself if you can shoot them well. You won't be shooting all day, but a couple of quality shots perhaps. Of course I would take the lighter ones, in case you want to have a day where you shoot birds, small game, etc...

Best of luck

Comment

Thanks, all. Exactly what I was looking for.

Chunky, I'm just going to copy your post and send it to the PH in an email. I think the voice of experience will carry weight with him. He is a smart adaptive guy, and he works hard for his clients.

So...20 and under it is. I might fling one farther at a baboon, though. Danie thinks of baboons the way Texans think of coyotes. He has an orange grove, and they steal his oranges. His trackers love baboon meat, too. I'll pass on that...:-)

Joe

Comment

I agree with Chunky. I would go for the heavier limbs, particularly since you have a 26" draw. On my first trip I used a longbow, 55# at my 28" draw. Arrows were 610 grains with a 2 blade Magnus broadhead. On my second trip I used a 57# longbow with 620 grain arrows and a 4 blade Magnus Stinger. All my shots were 20yds and under.

Comment

I'm not trying to bring this back up for more replies, but do want to thank you, Philip.

I'm amazed that you recall my draw length, but appreciate it.:-)

I'm torn now between heavier limbs and downsizing my quarry. I've only ever seen two bushbucks, one in Botswana and one in SA, and they are crazy-smart little rascals.

Remind me of Whitetails.

I don't care about trophies anymore (I gave all mine away when I moved into the camper), I just love to hunt, especially with old friends.

Might could find room for a Euro-mount bushbuck. Or a steenbok. Or a duiker. Or...:-)

Joe
                        Last edited by RoyseCity; 03-27-2016, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Joe,

Nothing wrong with bumping a thread to try and get more responses.

When I got back from my two trips, I sat down and wrote down everything I could think of that might help someone going to Africa for the first time. I know you have been, so you probably know most all of it...but I thought why not post a link because you never know and might pick up something that would help you.

Comment

Great stuff, Mark. Thanks.

Regarding tips and gifts, I'm reminded of my tracker in Botswana.

Petros.

An outstanding young black Christian gentleman. From the moment we met, helping me was his only aim. He had no shoes, though. Thorny country.

He had big old feet like me, and several times said "those very nice boots, Joe".

He thought he was being subtle, and I very much wanted to give him my boots, but they were the only footwear I had brought.

So I didn't.

Those boots would have meant more to Petros than a new pickup would to you or me.

Sure wish I'd had an extra pair of boots.

We are very blessed, I reckon.

Joe

Comment

I left several pairs of my shoes and boots, and only brought back the one's I wore. I know exactly what you mean. I gave away shirts, hats, sunglasses, and almost everything that was easy to replace. None of it was expensive, but I am sure it made a big difference to those who had none.

Comment

Working...
                              X