Long bow purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long bow purchase

I have been shooting a Bob Lee recurve for a few months and now wanting to buy a long bow. I know a lot of you are "partial" to sarrels bows so I have been looking at them but wanted to get a little insight before I pull the trigger. Do most of y'all that shoot several bows stick within the same poundage for different bows? Thanks

All of my bows are within one or two pounds of each other.

And I am one of the guys who is "partial" to Sarrels bows. I absolutely love my Blueridge longbow!

Bisch
    Last edited by Bisch; 03-20-2016, 07:43 PM.

Comment

This guy knows his trad stuff. His traditional kill list is like the plague lol.

Comment

Ok thanks fellas

Comment

I want to add something. I think a guy should hunt with the most draw weight he can shoot well. Beyond that, you rdeuce the advantage of having the extra draw weight.

Part of the answer to your question can only be answered by knowing what you want to hunt. If you are only hunting whitetails and like size critters, you can easily make do with 45#. If you want to hunt bigger, tougher animals it would be wise to move up a bit in draw weight!

Bisch

Comment

Thanks Bisch. I have zero problems shooting my 61# recurve and can shoot it for hours without getting tired. But since you are here... can you tell me any advantages or disadvantages to recurve vs long bow or vice versa? Or should I just say differences as far as shooting/ accuracy? Thanks

Comment

it's all a personal preference thing. Some guys like recurves, and some like longbows. The two typically have very different grips and most guys get to liking one style better than the other.

For me there are two main things I dislike about recurves:

1. Longbows go "thud" while recurves go "twang". I just like the sound of a longbow better than a recurve.

2. If you shoot a recurve, you should really use a bow stringer to string/unstring your bow. I HATE bow stringers! I can't keep up with them, and I can't keep knots out of them. You don't need a stringer for a longbow unless it is very heavy poundage.

Bisch

Comment

Thank you. I love my recurve and enjoy shooting it but one thing I don't like is the grip seems huge to me and longbow grips I have seen seem to be smaller. Thanks again

Comment

All of my bows are within 7# of each other. I have both recurves and longbows. I like the simple, light, quiet longbows, but I like the grip on my BL recurve (slightly modified).

Comment

I have a 48# long bow and a 59# recurve. I like them both but would advise you to stay close in draw weights. I have to have 2 sets of arrows and they shoot different. I have to adjust my aim between the 2 bows. It's kind of a pain when switching back and forth.

Comment

Working...
                    X