No announcement yet.

Bow Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. As long as they are flying halfway decent I'll just work on form and shooting for now. When I get to a point that I'm shooting halfway decent I'll take it to the bow shop and get help with paper tuning. The shop I use doesn't carry a lot of traditional stuff but surely they can at least help me get paper tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
      When it gets here and I get it all set up, should I even worry about trying to paper tune or any kind of tuning right away, or just start practicing first?
      There is no way on this planet anyway that you can start any kind of serious tuning, or for that matter aiming, until you have a consistent shot. Once your arrows are going to the same spot consistently, you can worry about tuning them to make that spot the one you want it to be, but if you start out trying to tune arrows before you have a consistent shot you'll make yourself bat crap crazy.

Get yourself a copy of Masters of the Barebow III and watch the Rod Jenkins segment a few times while you're learning your form. When you have that down, you can start tuning, and learning to aim, but in that respect archery is like building a house - if you don't get the foundation right the rest of it is never going to be right either.

Comment

Good deal I'll check it out.

Comment

If you ever want a heavier pull lefty bow, I've got a damon howatt super diablo I picked up from muzzlebrake. Unfortunately it's 58# at 28" and I pull about 32"...with that much stacking, I'm not strong enough to get off more than 5 shots without starting to shake and can't get consistent with it. Beautiful bow though.

Got if off of this thread http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...t=super+diablo

Comment

Oh wow that's a great looking bow!! We'll see how things go with this one. I've wanted to get into it for a couple years so I'm excited.

Comment

When it gets here and I get it all set up, should I even worry about trying to paper tune or any kind of tuning right away, or just start practicing first?
              When it shows up and you set a reasonable nocking point (1/2") and brace height (7.5"), you are more than allowed to run outside with your pajamas on and start shooting at targets. Just don't shoot your eye out!

Comment

Lol!!

Comment

When I get to a point that I'm shooting halfway decent I'll take it to the bow shop and get help with paper tuning. The shop I use doesn't carry a lot of traditional stuff but surely they can at least help me get paper tuned.
                  Chances are, if your shop doesn't have a trad guy... they are going to look at you cross-eyed and just recommend a guy to go see.

I'm not saying you can't paper tune a trad bow, but it is different than paper tuning a compound bow... significantly. An arrow shot from a trad bow is going to flex sideways... it has to! A compound bow with a mech release doesn't flex sideways and so that is what a compound bow tech is trying to get rid of by aligning the rest, etc.

Google/youtube videos on bareshaft tuning and you will get a good idea of how you can just tune your arrows in your own backyard.

Comment

I've been watching a few and that looks like it may be the way to go. Everything I'm reading kind of looks like spine size is pretty much the biggest factor, with tip weight playing a pretty big role too. I don't mind tinkering around and learning myself, I'd rather do it that way anyway. Thanks for all of you guys helping me out!!

Comment

I've been watching a few and that looks like it may be the way to go. Everything I'm reading kind of looks like spine size is pretty much the biggest factor, with tip weight playing a pretty big role too. I don't mind tinkering around and learning myself, I'd rather do it that way anyway. Thanks for all of you guys helping me out!!
                      Here is a pretty good video.

Just keep in mind one thing... a lot of people will state different reasons for why adjustments (like braceheight) affect things. Try not to get too wrapped up in that (if you are an engineer like me... that is VERY HARD NOT TO DO!) Make small adjustments and watch how they change. Again, personal form plays a role. You can shoot an arrow one day and it behaves great... and then stiff another. Chances are, your form changed between one day to the next or you are not drawing as far back as you were the 1st day.

Also, you are lefthanded... so a lot of things are reverse.

The goal is to find an arrow setup that 1) weighs enough for your liking 2) flies straight and 3) hits where you are looking.

Comment

This is the method I've been using for years.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          Here is a pretty good video.

Just keep in mind one thing... a lot of people will state different reasons for why adjustments (like braceheight) affect things. Try not to get too wrapped up in that (if you are an engineer like me... that is VERY HARD NOT TO DO!) Make small adjustments and watch how they change. Again, personal form plays a role. You can shoot an arrow one day and it behaves great... and then stiff another. Chances are, your form changed between one day to the next or you are not drawing as far back as you were the 1st day.

Also, you are lefthanded... so a lot of things are reverse.

The goal is to find an arrow setup that 1) weighs enough for your liking 2) flies straight and 3) hits where you are looking.
                          Great video. Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                            This is the method I've been using for years.

http://www.acsbows.com/bareshaftplaning.html
                            That makes it sound pretty straight forward. This will help for sure. Appreciate it!!

Comment

I'm in Elkhart, shoot trad and have a bunch of lefties. I don't claim to be an expert but willing to help with anything I can, like tuning and finding the right arrows, got arrows of all kinds you can try. Shoot me a PM if you'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Shipp View Post
                                I'm in Elkhart, shoot trad and have a bunch of lefties. I don't claim to be an expert but willing to help with anything I can, like tuning and finding the right arrows, got arrows of all kinds you can try. Shoot me a PM if you'd like.

Awesome!! I appreciate the offer. When my bow gets here I'll give you a shout. Maybe we can get together one day.

Comment

Working...
                                X