Let the journey begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let the journey begin

Well, yesterday was my first day to really shoot a traditional bow. Took my longbow out, got it strung (I was nervous even using a stringer!), and had a freakin' blast shooting! I can't believe I didn't get here sooner. I have a new tab on order (have to use a left handed one upside down for now as they sent the wrong one), some more arrows, and a few more odds and ends. I'm just stoked about it... way more then when I originally picked up a compound bow.

Just thought I would share.

Welcome! You'll have a lot of fun. You'll want to sell your compound soon enough......welcome to the dark side

Comment

Originally posted by strigif0rm3s View Post
      Welcome! You'll have a lot of fun. You'll want to sell your compound soon enough......welcome to the dark side
      I already sold it! I am keeping my trusty old backup Mathews MQ1 though.

Thanks!

Comment

Welcome - glad you are enjoying it so far! Try to find some trad guys in your area to shoot with - that will shorten the learning curve considerably.

Comment

It only gets better from here! Wait till the day you walk up to your first trad shot critter, if you think you are stoked now!!!

There will be days of great frustration, so get ready for it, but the rewards are so great, it makes the frustrations well worth the while!

Welcome to the fun side!

Bisch

Comment

Welcome. The Trad experience is a great journey although can be quite expensive. Learn good form from an experienced shooter, find the correct arrows for your bow and enjoy. There is so much you can do with Trad bows and love every minute (well....almost every minute) of shooting with it.

Best of luck.

Doug Key

Comment

Thanks guys. I don't think shooting with other trad shooters is an option where I live, so I'll just have to self teach. I picked up a couple Asbell books and plan to seek help via this website and "others".

Comment

Welcome, best fun you can have with your clothes on! Read what you can, go to some Trad shoots, check out this site and ask questions. Bottom line is, figure out what works best for you to maintain consistency, shot after shot. Then enjoy the journey!

LD

Comment

Bisch is right... while I was driving home last weekend after not having much luck, all I had to do was remember the picture of seeing the dead deer under a cedar tree with the zwickey sticking straight up. All I could do was smile and be happy

Comment

Welcome! I'm fairly new and love the time with my recurve. Haven't gotten into woods but will soon enough, and yes the frustration is part of the journey enjoy.

Comment

I picked up a couple Asbell books
                      Don't believe Mr Asbell if he says you have to put a hump in your back to shoot a trad bow. You don't. You can, but you don't have to.

Comment

Bisch said it well. I, too, welcome you to the trad side. Picking up one stick to fling smaller sticks is magical.

Comment

Welcome Iv just started this season and shot 1 hog and its game over no more compounds good luck and have fun

Comment

Started Trad shooting a couple of months ago after shooting a compound for 10+ years. I couldn't hit the broad side of anything at first. It would have been easy to be discouraged and quit, but even shooting all over the place it has been a blast.
                            After a couple of weeks of basically shooting just for the fun of it things began to come around. Now I can keep it in a paper plate out to about 20+ yards.
                            Keep plugging away.

Comment

I was hitting an 18" target at 15 yards consistently yesterday evening... not sure if that's good or not but I know it's fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X