Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Traditional FSC Week 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional FSC Week 9

Had a thread a few weeks ago about how much deer can drop when hearing an arrow and where to aim on a whitetail deer. Most agreed -- especially with our slower traditional equipment-- that we need to aim low (Buff even likes to aim BELOW the deer altogether.) That said, and since I recently had a deer duck my arrow that evidently was not aimed low enough, this challenge is designed to help remind us to focus LOW. The target on the buck pictured is the intersection of the upside down "Y" shown just below the deer's heart in the white patch by its elbow. This also coincides with advice to shoot for the off-side leg. Distance: 12 yards (grown-ups); 7 yards (kids).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DS-70371_1__56470.1299717791.480.480.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	25072181

Bisch: you don't have to aim below the deer like Buff.
    Rick: remind us of those stats from the study on deer quickness.

Comment

So, is this where we are supposed to aim?

Name:	deer target.jpg
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	24415057

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
        So, is this where we are supposed to aim?

[ATTACH]754943[/ATTACH]

Bisch
        Not quite. Aim at the upside down Y shape just above and to the right of your red dot. Closest to the center of the Y wins.

Comment

Gotcha! This a better spot?

Name:	deer target 1.jpg
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	24415063

Bisch

Comment

Zackly! Was trying to provide a visual for us to shoot at that is measurable and would represent a legitimately good place to aim in the field. Notice the head is down and onside leg is forward. Kinda hard to find a target with those features, plus something to shoot at as low as we really should.

Appreciate your asking for clarity, Jerry.

Comment

Well, I was just looking at the wrong upside down "Y" at first!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                Rick: remind us of those stats from the study on deer quickness.
                It was something I read in a study a long time ago, so I don't have any resource/link to show, but the study said:

A whitetail deer can drop 8 inches, turn 90 degree, and be running full speed in 21 hundredths of one second.

Rick

Comment

I'm a little low.

Rick
                  Attached Files

Comment

Attaway, Rick! "Little low" Very little! Thanks for reiterating the whitetail quickeration numbers. All the more reason to aim low. Nice to read in Swamp Rabbit's trad kill thread that he focused low and got a good result.

Comment

Got the off-side leg alright! Don't mind this one: 13/16ths low.

Comment

Good shooting so far! Since the time change I have not been able to participate - I will try to get home before dark or set up some lights so I can give it a try.

Comment

Nice shooting

Comment

Looks like I'm out! Headed to a hunt tomorrow till sunday, so I won't be able to get it in.

Bisch

Comment

Hey Bisch show us what it looks like on the Real thing!! LOL-- Dano

Comment

Working...
                              X