Need a Trad Guru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a Trad Guru

So, Im in Arlington, and I thought the GS might help point me in the right direction for some trad help.

My dad gave me a long bow which was made specially for him by a Black Widow Bowyer he met while guiding fishing trips in MO. It's a beautiful bow, and I have really enjoyed shooting it. Truthfully though, I have no idea what I'm doing. I need a traditional mentor, and someone to show me the in and outs of maintaining/setting up my equipment. I have no idea where to look for good help (other than here). If you guys have any suggestions on archery shops (and who I should speak with) or if there are any TBH'rs who wanna help a new guy out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Travis.

Javi mike helped me a ton when i was getting into it.. Not sure what he is up to now.. But he would be a good place to start..

Im not to far in aledo and i could help you some.. But I'm not a guru

Comment

I don't think Mike is giving lessons anymore, but he gets on here still, so if he is, I'm sure he will chime in.

There is a ton of trad shooters in DFW, and some mighty fine ones too. The best way to meet folks is to go to all trad 3D shoots and introduce yourself. The shoots are just about over for this year. Cowtown hosts the Winter Traditional shoot at the end of Feb. If there are any club shoots left up there, go to them and meet who you can.

Maybe some of the guys closer to you will chime in on this thread too?

Good luck with it. You are diving into an addiction that is way more satisfying than any drug out there!

Bisch

Comment

I'd post this on the Trad forum!

If you were closer, I'd be willing, but I'm a little far for you to just pop in to ask a few qestions.
        PM me if you have any questions that I can help you with!

Comment

First off, welcome to the trad/fun side!

Second, your bow sounds like it has a great history to it! Post up some pics! I am actually waiting on my first custom recurve from Black Widow.

Third, there are a bunch of great trad folks up in the Metro area; just give it a few days with this post to see if they come out. The trad forum can get kinda slow at times, so you gotta be patient (unlike a thread in around the campfire that gets 100 posts in an hour.)

Comment

Travis,

I am not proclaiming myself to be a guru but I am a traditional archer who lives in SW Arlington, close to Mansfield, and I shoot longbows and recurves. Where in Arlington do you reside?

If you'd like to get together and shoot sometime give me a shout.

Also, I'm a member of The Arlington Sportsman's Club and the club holds a monthly 3D shoot on the third Saturday each month (Sept. 19 this month) which is open to the general public. The cost to shoot is $10.00 for non-members. If you'd like to come shoot the course let me know and I'll give you directions.

I look forward to your reply.
            Andrew

Comment

Working...
            X