Traditional new guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional new guy

Just looking at getting back into a bow soon. Had a nasty accident with a compound 2 years ago. Right now I just want to look at the cost of a decent recurve and try and have one purchased by January or February. What is a decent bow that would get me hunting whitetail and possibly elk?

I am new to all this and so any info will be really used to what to purchase and look for.

I've never shot one, but heard pretty good reviews on the Samick Sage bows. I think they are around $130 - $150. You'll have to buy arrows and a glove or tab. You should be able to start shooting for around $200-$250. The sky is the limit on what you want to spend. I started out cheap to make sure I liked Trad, THEN I went custom longbows. Good Luck! and welcome to the trad side!!

Comment

Several of us that are just getting started in traditional archery

Comment

The Samick Sage is how I started it out. It served me very well for a year until I decided I "wanted" a nicer bow. I don't need one, I just want one. I have killed a pig with the Sage and have no doubts I could kill a deer with it. In fact, it will be my back up.

In fact, I have 2 of them. Was going to post one to the classifieds, but I've been lazy about it.

Comment

Going to list a Martin Mamba with everything I have to go with it (Selway quiver, arrows, another quiver, tips broadheads, etc...) need to research a price on AT first. 55# @ 28"

Comment

There are a few nice trad bows in the Classifieds. Give them a look.

Comment

If you want a custom bow at a reasonably good price that shoots really good check out Mahaska custom bows they are built well and Kent is easy to work with and has a fairly quick delivery about 8 weeks unless its Elk season in New Mexico

Comment

Congrats on looking into the traditional side of archery, better known as the fun side. Most important thing is to not overbow yourself from the start. In other words start out light weigh, 35 to 40 pounds of draw until you are comfortable with your form being developed properly then go up in weight. Try finding an experienced shooter in your area and see if they will work with you, cuts the learning curve ay down and helps you dodge some of the trial and error potholes along the way. Best of luck with your journey.

Comment

Originally posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
                  Congrats on looking into the traditional side of archery, better known as the fun side. Most important thing is to not overbow yourself from the start. In other words start out light weigh, 35 to 40 pounds of draw until you are comfortable with your form being developed properly then go up in weight. Try finding an experienced shooter in your area and see if they will work with you, cuts the learning curve ay down and helps you dodge some of the trial and error potholes along the way. Best of luck with your journey.
                  Listen to this man! Light weight to start out with. You can upgrade to heavier limbs if you get a 3 piece bow.

Comment

What Doc said^^^^^^

Welcome to the fun side!

Bisch

Comment

Welcome Kurt . What Doc Said. That old man knows everything and everybody. Arvin

Comment

Shooting a bear Sonoma recurve, got it for a good deal at bass pro shops.

Comment

Thank you for the advice and insight. Can't wait to fling some arrows.

Comment

Originally posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
                            Sound advice here! And, the Samick Sage is one of the best and cheapest ways to go when starting out.

Comment

Ok now tab or glove?

Comment

Working...
                              X