Tall cattle panel blinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
    Mine are 54", so 4 1/2' high. If I build another one I will try to find a 60" panel and use that.

Bisch
    Tractor supply pricing has the 50" at $20 a panel, and the 5' (60") at $50 a panel.

At that price, I'm almost considering just using two overlapped to get a better height.

Comment

If those prices are correct, I will stay with the shorter one too.

Bisch

Comment

PREPARE FOR A LONG READ ! Made two last May (made sure they had plenty of time to get used to em ) Made out of old 16 ft cow panels, 6ft square by a little over 6 ft tall. Made taller by welding a torching a panel in half on the 50" side, torch em to the right width (6ft) , and welded to the top of the full height 6ft pieces. Mocked up all 8 sides in my shop, (4 sides for 2 blinds)wired corners together to figure out window height, cut out windows , and made the hinged doors. Forgot that part, one side of each blind had a hinged 3ft door on the end. Made door same height as all existing sides, but on one edge left four long/uncut lengths of panel rods, heated, bent around panel it went on, and tacked back to door. Makes for a strong, quiet, lasts forever door hinge! Used three sides of a panel square for door pull handle. Takes 5 t-posts to set, 1 at each corner, and one right by hinge for strength for door operation. Balin wire firmly to t-posts, zip-tie or wire some of that black flower bed cloth (I did two layers for cave like darkness ) Originally went right over my window cut outs, then sharp knife and scissor cut out after. Covered with old sheet iron from a falling down barn on my place. Attached to top by drilling holes in sheet iron, wiring to panels on edges, then siliconed all holes from my wiring/old screws after that. Cut and covered with cedars, but as early as I put em out, prolly coulda just left em black. Almost forgot, welded up some shelves for inside walls for binos, thermacell , and such. Have cut bicycle inner tube with wire hooks inside and outside of door for "latches". One more thing, have some small lift up windows by my sittin chair in case I hear somethin I can't see I setup these on a "diamond" , by that I mean I sit in a back corner, and face directly to the opposite corner. The two front sides of the diamond are my windows, and my corner where I sit is the farthest away/the darkest. I'm sure all of this "novel" was clear as mud! Lookin for pictures! God Bless, Rusty

Comment

I'd like to see your pics Rusty. I'm always interested to see how others do things.

Bisch

Comment

Bisch, ever since I finished that post, I've been tryin to figure out how to get pictures from my album (down-loaded sd cards) on THIS I-pad to post on this thread Still workin on it! I looked, and I do have several pics of the outside of the blind. Will take some inside pics this week, and post them as well....if I can ever figure out how!!!! God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Hey Rusty... your writeup was pretty clear to me. Wish I could weld, would be a lot easier to put some of this stuff together that way.

I went out and purchased a 50" panel to try out. The 60" panel was indeed 30$ more! I curved it around in the back yard and cut out a small shooting hole and tested it out. 50" is perfect for just clearing my head when sitting down... but obviously not for a bow. With a 3' opening in the back for the door I will construct, that gives me just a tad under 6' diameter. The nice thing about the circle design is that I can cut 3 narrow slits and really get good coverage. I really don't need that big of windows really.

Now to address height. Obviously 50" is enough for the bow, but I was wondering how much do I really need? Turns out the answer is somewhere around 6'-6.5' The nice thing about the circle is that the bow pretty much stays in the center of the blind, when I draw it uncanted. I could do the PVC dome... or I might do a cone roof using 1x1s. I mocked up a cone framed roof using some strip ceder that I had laying around and the pitch looks like it might work out well. giving me a center height of 6.5'

Comment

Scott, I have found thru experience that the door should be at least 42" wide, gives you a whole lot more room.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  Scott, I have found thru experience that the door should be at least 42" wide, gives you a whole lot more room.

Bisch
                  Thanks for the tip. For simplicity I started with the idea of just 4'. But when I was curving I noted 36" was pretty good. Another 6" is probably a really good idea!

The thing I keep wondering is, when I am done mocking this one up using 50", whether the extra 10" in height will be worth an extra $30!

We'll see. One thing is for sure, my 10yr old son gets to hunt this year and will start him out with a rifle. Most of our blinds just simple 34" high hog panel tucked into trees but are out at 100 yards and brushed in. For him, I am going to make a few of these without a roof at 50 yards to make the shots a little easier and less stressful.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Following, I have been wanting to build one of these at my new place. I have access to t-posts and hog panels at the place. I would only need to get material to wrap it with and brush it in.

Comment

Hafta agree with Bisch on don't skimp on the door width! Mine that are 3' were fine when I was fabbing it up in my shop in jeans and a t-shirt. But, put on some huntin clothes, strap on a back pack, have a 66" longbow in your hand, quiver full of feather fletched arras, and you got to do some moves like in the Matrix! I've gotten to where now, I open the door, hang my bow on hanger in ceiling, then weasel my way on in I can't say enough on how much I like the "flower bed cloth" I used on the sides of my blind. It's made to be in the ground, not rot, and last for umpteen years. I did two layers on my blinds, cuz after one, I felt like I could still see a little light. I left 3-4" of skirt on bottom and buried it, so maybe not quite as many critters would feel like they needed in. You won't regret on takin a little extra time, and putting some type of shelves in arms reach. I'll usually have my thermacell on one, maybe binos, grunt call , etc. on another. You get the picture. Good luck, and God Bless, Rusty . STILL tryin to get pics on here. They are on my album, on this very I-pad, and I still ain't figured it out !.......

Comment

As far as the size/height of the panel we raise our's a foot or so off of the ground to make them a bit taller without paying for a taller panel.

We managed to aquire some black plasitc sheeting. This makes the inside dark and it is water proof. You will have to cover the outside with something else as the black will stand out.

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
                            As far as the size/height of the panel we raise our's a foot or so off of the ground to make them a bit taller without paying for a taller panel.

We managed to aquire some black plasitc sheeting. This makes the inside dark and it is water proof. You will have to cover the outside with something else as the black will stand out.
                            What are you doing to raise it a foot?

Comment

I decided to spend $8 and try a wooden framed roof. So far I like it. The plan is to wrap and then brush it in. This is my backyard prototype so far.

Next I will frame in the 42" entrance.

Comment

QUOTE=SwampRabbit;10321168]What are you doing to raise it a foot?[/QUOTE]

We just wire the panel to the T post off of the ground to the height we want to raise them. About 1' to 1 1/2'.

The covering will hang down that little bit with no problem.

We also allow a foot or so of the outside covering to lay on the ground away from the blind to divert rain water that runs down the side.

Comment

Working...
                                X