Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This may have been the first 3D shoot ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodness, if you could shoot half as good as you sculpt im guessing your hard to beat
    Very well done

Comment

Those look great! That had to be a lot of hard work.

Comment

WOW! Thank you for sharing such a great story and picture. I bet that was a lot of work and a lot of fun. What do you remember about the shoot? Like how many shooters? How did you do in the shoot?

Comment

For me, making the targets became a challenge to make them look as close to real as I could. It was a lot of work and if I remember correct several times I stayed up till wee hours of the morning working on them. Back then it was all fun.

Comment

Louis, those targets were definitely way ahead of their time.

I remember the first time I ever got to shoot them. That was back in the 80's sometime at Devils Mountain range (old location).

I've sunk quite a large number of arrows into those things, and enjoyed every moment of it. The only thing I ever had a problem with was pulling the arrows out of them, but that was no big deal considering the fun we had shooting them.

Devils Mountain club still uses the polar bear, or at least they did the last time I shot there.

Rick

Comment

those targets look better than what is available today!!! They probable last longer also.

My targets look like they came from the island of misfit toys.

Arkie

Comment

Wow

Comment

Great work!

Comment

Nice

Comment

Pedernal, I think there may have been around 125 shooters then, possibly more. They came from all over. A group of folks came from New Mexico and some from Colorado. Butch Gleghorn would remember better than me. If Peanut (Wesley Adams) shows up he may remember more since he is younger than me. There were a lot of folks for a shoot back then. Up until my first time to the Texas State Longbow shoot ( 15 or more years ago) and the Hill Country Shootout (I think the year before it was in Sabinal) it was one of the largest shoots I had attended in Texas. I don't remember how well I shot. There were some really great shooters back then. Those of us who spent a lot of time getting the shoot ready expended a lot of energy and though we may not have shot well we had a great time preparing and getting the shoot ready for others to enjoy.

Rick, yep the Grizzly got painted white and is now a Polar bear that Butch still uses at the Devil's Mountain yearly 3D invitational.
                      Last edited by Straitshot; 07-25-2015, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Very impressive targets. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I know for a couple of years we had 350-400 shooters.
                          What was fun, when we were hauling them out to the range from Butch's house was the looks we would get from other drivers.
                          There was a python target, someone asked Carl where the kill zone on it was, "right behind the shoulder" he says.
                          the problem we had with them was after a few years the legs would give out.
                          Louis made the most beautiful, lifelike targets of the bunch.
                          Last edited by loco cacahuate; 07-26-2015, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Originally posted by loco cacahuate View Post
                              I know for a couple of years we had 350-400 shooters.
                              What was fun, when we were hauling them out to the range from Butch's house was the looks we would get from other drivers.
                              There was a python target, someone asked Carl where the kill zone on it was, "right behind the shoulder" he says.
                              the problem we had with them was after a few years the legs would give out.
                              Louis made the most beautiful, lifelike targets of the bunch.
                              Those targets were fantastic !!!!!!
                              The targets for the "monster shoot" were pretty darn good too !!!!!!

I miss those days.
                              I miss Carl.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Straitshot View Post
                                Pedernal, I think there may have been around 125 shooters then, possibly more. They came from all over. A group of folks came from New Mexico and some from Colorado. Butch Gleghorn would remember better than me. If Peanut (Wesley Adams) shows up he may remember more since he is younger than me. There were a lot of folks for a shoot back then. Up until my first time to the Texas State Longbow shoot ( 15 or more years ago) and the Hill Country Shootout (I think the year before it was in Sabinal) it was one of the largest shoots I had attended in Texas. I don't remember how well I shot. There were some really great shooters back then. Those of us who spent a lot of time getting the shoot ready expended a lot of energy and though we may not have shot well we had a great time preparing and getting the shoot ready for others to enjoy.

Rick, yep the Grizzly got painted white and is now a Polar bear that Butch still uses at the Devil's Mountain yearly 3D invitational.
                                Thanks for expanding on the story! Sure sounds like you folks were burning the trails that lead to the modern 3-d shoots. Awesome thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X