Laser Hog Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Demonstration

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Rick

Comment

Nice Rick

Comment

Looking better after removing handle!!!

Comment

Brian, I put the handle back in. It makes it easier to handle while sighting in, and adds a little insurance to things not moving once set & locked down.

Hopefully I'll get to try it out on a hog tonight.

Rick

Comment

Well, unfortunately this mount is just not trustworthy. It stays put for a few shots, but eventually is gets off, so it's back to the drawing board for a more secure adjustable mount for the laser.

I'm not giving up on this, because it works great as long as I can make the light stay put. I'll get it.

Rick

Comment

Late last night I figured this thing out, and between that time and break times today I got a new mount built.

I used schedule 40 CPVC fittings for the housing.

The laser fits snugly into the rear threaded end cap, and acts as the pivot point. It has some velcro padding to make it fit snug, and keep it nice & quiet.

The front bushing/collar has thumb screws threaded into it to both secure the laser & adjust it for sighting in.

The U bracket between the mount & the riser busing is bent just right to hold the mount square to the riser. This gives me a sighting in adjustment range of 10 to 50 yards. I currently have it zeroed at 15 yards, which is where I want it.

The laser is threaded & separates at the middle. I kept the adjustment thumb screws behind that joint. This allows me to removed the front half & remove the battery without loser my zero.

The rubber strap is my switch.

It works GREAT, and I've shot it enough to know that it isn't going to move unless I want it to.

Of course, it wasn't complete without a redneck camo job.

I don't think it looks half bad either.

Rick
              Attached Files

Comment

That looks way better than the first one!

Bisch

Comment

Rick, I really like this idea. I think it might work better than the Hawglight I'm using now. None of my bows have stabilizer inserts so I've got to come up with a mounting system.

Comment

This is where I thought you would end up! Looks great!!!
                    Phillip 3rivers sells the strap on/screw in adapter for non tapped risers! I used them now an before bicycle inner tube for my Hawglight!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                      Rick, I really like this idea. I think it might work better than the Hawglight I'm using now. None of my bows have stabilizer inserts so I've got to come up with a mounting system.
                      Phillip, if you have a 3pc bow, it is simple. Just make a bracket like I did that mounts under the limb bolt, and you can mount any accessory that would mount into a stabilizer hole!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by BRIAN OKONSKI View Post
                        This is where I thought you would end up! Looks great!!!
                        Phillip 3rivers sells the strap on/screw in adapter for non tapped risers! I used them now an before bicycle inner tube for my Hawglight!!!
                        My wife and I both have these adapters on our longbows for out Hawglights. I'm thinking of something that will put the light/laser closer to the centerline of the arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                          Phillip, if you have a 3pc bow, it is simple. Just make a bracket like I did that mounts under the limb bolt, and you can mount any accessory that would mount into a stabilizer hole!

Bisch
                          Bisch, I've been thinking about something like this for my ACS, but I've been shooting my one piece Brush Wolf lately.

Comment

Phillip, it works much better than a light, because you get no flooding with the laser.

You don want to mount it much higher than a standard stabilizer bushing, because then it will get in the way of your hand unless you mount it pretty far out from the bow. The farther out from the bow you mount it, the less stable it will be.

Bisch's mount would work perfectly, and is exactly how I would have done it if I didn't already have a stab bushing in the bow.

Rick

Comment

I know some of you do not consider this to be a traditional bowhunting venture,
                              but I assure you, if you ever start trying to hunt pigs (or anything for that matter) in the dark,
                              you will find out real quick just how important the light you use, and how well you have it pointed is.

Even with a standard light/hoglight, you need to get it pointed pretty good, or it is pretty much worthless.

I took this to the laser level, because the laser light does not produce any flooding of light,
                              and only the spot you are shooting at is illuminated.
                              This helps to not spook the animals like even the tinted hoglights will.

The other benefits of the laser are just delightful perks.

Rick

Comment

Version II of the mount for this light is completed & tested.
                                It works great. I believe it's a keeper.

Video test:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                                I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X