Instinctive w/Compound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
    Been there, done that...but it was so long ago the tee shirt is worn out and the wrong size.
    Same. Started out hunting with a Black Bear and Hoyt Rambo shooting instinctively. Killed a yote, javi and plenty of fish. I didn't even know what 3-D was back then.

Comment

Ah, the Hoyt Rambo... LOL. I remember what a big deal those bows were back in the day!

When compounds resembled recurves with wheels, they were pretty easy to shoot with fingers. I shot my very first deer in 1986 with a Bear Pronghorn Hunter with fingers, and I bought that bow specifically because it was designed for finger shooters.

Nowdays, even the "longest" compounds deliver so much finger pinch that they are tough to shoot with fingers. I have a Conquest 4 hanging up that I will keep around just for that purpose, but compared to my old Bear, it's a pinchy sucker.

Comment

In the early 80's I had a Darton SL50 with either a 35% or 50% let off, round wheels, laminated limbs, a riser that was cut about on center, and a recurve style grip. Can't remember how long it was, maybe 40" or 41".
        I could really shoot that bow good and it was as much fun as recurves and longbows. There was no noticeable break point in the draw.
        The next time I looked at a compound the world had changed and it wasn't fun anymore so back to recurves and longbows for me.

Comment

My son does....

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            With no sights?

Bisch
            Yep and there were several more around the state that did it way more often than me. I owe any skill I had with it to Lee Gregory. He is a phenominal archer and a great teacher.

Comment

I wouldn't want Gene Curry shooting at me with a totally bare compound bow. Back in the day when he was sponsored by Martin Archery I had the pleasure of shooting a round with him tuning up for a big shoot. He 10ed an elk target at 95 yards not once but several times as the rest of us looked on in awe. I new better than to even try but the other guys did, we hunted for their arrows for about an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by ChadMR82 View Post
                I have been chcking into getting a Hoyt Tribute (long axle compound) to shoot with a flipper rest and no sights. A guy at my local range has one and he is a great shot. He use to shoot traditional but shoulder problems made him switch things up. Although not traditional, I see the fun of a compound with fingers and no sights. Would still require the mental game of shooting any traditional bow, but with the added benefit of letoff and a defined draw length stop.
                I often have wanted to try the same thing. Still shooting my widow for now. Maybe one day ill break down and do it.

Comment

Can you shoot a compound off the shelf(built up a bit of course)? I see no point in doing it but it sounds like fun to try

Comment

Originally posted by Tracker0721 View Post
                    Can you shoot a compound off the shelf(built up a bit of course)? I see no point in doing it but it sounds like fun to try
                    I shot my oneida off the shelf, but it was an old one with a shelf just like a stick bow. I see no reason why you could not shoot one off the shelf, but with the way they are made today, am not sure how canting one would work.

Bisch

Comment

Yes, it can be done. I've thought about doin it several times but never have.

Comment

O
                        No, Ted does not shoot barebow anymore! He has all the latest and greatest of whatever the companies give him for free!

Bisch
                        When Ted shot without sights he used a release. He switched to sights due to target panic.

Canting with a compound might not be good these days. I have read on Campfire where quite a few guys compounds strings/cables have jumped off of the cams when torqueing them while letting them down.

Might be safer to do shooting with a release.
                        Last edited by M.E.B.; 02-15-2015, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I personally seen Bisch shoot the Oneida off the shelf few years ago when I stayed with a fellow member when I was down the for a javi hunt. He is was very good with that bow. I shoot every once in awhile that way but with a release and current set up. Just cant the bow and shoot. Mostly do it for S&G's. But have shot a couple deer with out using my sights on my compounds on the ground. They had the sights on the bow just didn't make time to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
                            O

When Ted shot without sights he used a release. He switched to sights due to target panic.

Canting with a compound might not be good these days. I have read on Campfire where quite a few guys compounds strings/cables have jumped off of the cams when torqueing them while letting them down.

Might be safer to do shooting with a release.
                            re: bolded type

Now that is something I really didn't realize anyone was doing anymore. But it was common back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
                              I wouldn't want Gene Curry shooting at me with a totally bare compound bow. Back in the day when he was sponsored by Martin Archery I had the pleasure of shooting a round with him tuning up for a big shoot. He 10ed an elk target at 95 yards not once but several times as the rest of us looked on in awe. I new better than to even try but the other guys did, we hunted for their arrows for about an hour.
                              Gene is a good friend of mine. He is probably the best most rounded (skill wise) archer I have ever known. He can shoot anything, including stickbows, and shoot them real well.

I think he won the IBO Worlds in bare bow fingers around 4 times, and I've often seen him shoot bare bow & rival the scores of the totally tricked out bows.

Rick

Comment

There are not many. I shot an oneida eagle just like my longbow, no sights, off the shelf, and canted for several years. I shoot a lot of 3D and organizations like ASA and IBO do not even have a class for barebow anymore. NFAA still has a barebow class, but every one of those guys shoot tricked out target rigs with 3' stabilizers. There are a couple of these REALLY GOOD NFAA barebow shooters right here in Georgetown.

Bisch

If I ever went compound I have thought about the Oneida Eagle and shooting barebow. What did you think of the Eagle? And how did it compare to other compounds (or traditionals).

and do you mean, Georgetown, Tx? That used to be my hometown.

Comment

Working...
                                X