No announcement yet.

Let's talk flint knapping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read some books. Scared me right out of it.

The main thing that I remember is that in the olden days before safety glassed when the indians would get a piece of flake in their eye that would slap themselves in the back of the head repeatedly until the fluid in their eye would pop the flake out.

My wife volunteered to do that for me............

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
      About the yucca string? It was pretty simple, really. I cut a few yucca leaves, took them home, hammered on them lightly and separated the fibers, then soaked them in some water over night. Some people recommend soaking it for a week. It causes the useless stuff to rot off, leaving the fibers. But it stinks, so I didn't wait a week. I separated the fibers as best I could by hand, then made a couple of bundles and started twisting them into a flemish loop on one end, then just continued twisting. I tried to maintain a uniform thickness by adding a strand whenever it needed it. I'd dip the strand in water before adding it to make it easier to twist. It gets kind of soapy, and by the time I was done, my fingers looked like prunes. I got about 12 feet out of three yucca leaves. Then I burned off the frays and loose ends by passing it over a fire. It came out kind of nice.

Yesterday, I watched some videos on YouTube about making string out of yucca, so I went outside and found a plant.  I took three leaves, brought them

I have no idea how strong it is, though. I kind of doubt it's strong enough for a 50 lbs bow. I would think a sinew or gut string would be a lot stronger. I saw a video of a guy on youtube making a string out of gut.

Actually, for the bow build!

Comment

For flint knapping tools this is what I have.
        flintknapping, flint, knapping, Atlatls, Atl-atl, lithics, lithic reduction, stone, Darts, spears, arrow heads, primitive, weaponry, primitive skills, indiginous, native american, bows, arrows, arrow, traditional, historical, supplies, finished weaponry, custom arrows, knives, osage orange, hafting, sinew, backstrap, jasper, novaculite, dacite, obsidian, keokuk, chert, stone, rock, jasper, flint knapping kit, kits, student discount, schools, solid head copper bopper, spalling, Ishi stick, copper bopper, billets, aboriginal, bushcraft, native american, survival skill, survival tools, flintknapping kits, pressure flaker, flaking, arrowhead, knives, preper, off grid, survival skills, archery, hunting, supplies, knap-in, knap-ins, knap ins, copper nails, solid copper rods, delrin, videos, books, posters, diamond, files, knotching, punch

I have added extra stuff to it such as some boppers and extra nails and extra pads and leather pad.
        Don't waste money and time with these cheap starter kits that include some novaculite flint. Especially 3 Rivers stuff. Only thing from 3 rivers that's any good is rubber hand pads.
        Leon I live over in Euless. We can hook up and I can show you some things.

PS: bring band aids

Comment

Working...
        X