Arrow purchase/ tuning help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow purchase/ tuning help

Hey guys, haven't been over on the trad forum in quite a while. Looking for some more advice. With my original longbow giving me issues with tuning and also having some of the bamboo backing wanting to flake off, I've decided to hang it up (probably permanently).
    I'm buying a beautiful Sarrels Blueridge SR here off the forum, and I'd like to get it tuned in so I can hunt with it some at the end of general season. I'm looking for a place where I can get arrows ( GT trad's or wood) and get tuning help, and I'd prefer to not have to wait 2 weeks for the stuff to come in from 3 rivers. Is there anyplace within say 3 hours of college station that fits the bill? I'd love to go to bob's shop with the bow but I don't know if he has any arrows there or anything. All the advice is much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jake

Double G archery in Georgetown is about 100-120 miles from you.

I dont think you'll find wood arrows that easy.

Why don't you give them a call and see if they have GT trads. I've heard they're good people.

Comment

Thanks, on my list of things to do now.

Comment

Double G does carry GT's in either 3555/500 or 5575/400s. Which you'd need, of course, depends on the draw weight of your bow. It'd probably make sense to call Bob Sarrels and see what he'd recommend for the bow you're buying.

If you want wood, and you want it at all quickly, it's Lancaster Archery or 3 Rivers. Most archery shops are compound oriented and if they have wood at all it consists entirely of kids arrows.

Comment

Check out Hildebrand arrows. They are great people to with with and ship immediately. Neal is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to wood arrows.

Comment

I second hildebrands for wood

Comment

Come see me in Columbus, and I can help you at least figure out what spine you'll need. Then you can order some with confidence.

Comment

What poundage, and draw length? Do you have a preference on point weight? I might be able to help you out but it would be after a mule deer trip I'll be getting back from it on October 16 or 17th.

Comment

Alright guys. Finally got around to playing with the spine calc today.
                  My new bow is 43# at 28". I draw to 27". The point weight I plan to go with is around 250 gn's. It's a 175 gn Ace archery broadhead with a 75 gn steel broadhead adapter. It's the most economical broadhead I've found and comes pretty well recommended.

Playing around on the spine calculator, with a centercut bow (assuming) and a B-50 string, (assuming but I'll check as soon as I get it) that puts me shooting a 30 inch 400 spine arrow (I completely forgot I can shoot aluminiums) of some kind. I've got some 5575's from my first bow, they were to stiff and I for sure didn't think they were a possible answer. they're cut to 29", but a 300 grain point make's up for this. The biggest thing that might kill me I think is the center cut, and I'm also curious if y'all think my FOC might be to high at 25%

I'm also now considering Aluminum arrows, since I remembered they exist

Comment

.400 spine is gonna be waaaaaay too stiff for a 40ish pound bow.

That bow will have a low stretch string (likely D-97 if one Bob made).

Is this the bow that Travis was selling in the classifieds?

Your FOC would be fine at 25%, as long as your arrow is tuned well. Good tuning trumps high FOC.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      .400 spine is gonna be waaaaaay too stiff for a 40ish pound bow.

That bow will have a low stretch string (likely D-97 if one Bob made).

Is this the bow that Travis was selling in the classifieds?

Your FOC would be fine at 25%, as long as your arrow is tuned well. Good tuning trumps high FOC.

Bisch

this is what I thought, and I'm a little confused why my numbers look good in the spine calculator. I'm going to have to go back and rework everything. I originally bought those arrows for a 50ish pound bow knowing they were going to be on the stiff end, and they were too stiff for that bow (although borderline workable)

And yes sir, the bow travis was selling

Comment

FS and 3 rivers have cedar shafts for $30/dz

Comment

Working...
                        X