Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk Hunting Was Fun

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Hmm...works now, so how did you guys do? You look whooped.

Comment

Elk Hunting Was Fun

Too many people. Too few elk. My son hunted there last yr and said that there was not nearly the amount of people there. He got above timber line and still had quite bit of company.

We saw a few elk but always had competition close by.

I hiked with a 50 lb pack in preparation. I climbed stairs. Went from 210 lbs to 190 lbs. I hiked from 9000' to 10000' during the summer. This place started at 10000' and we went to 12000'.

I was fine on the flats and down hill. Inclines almost killed me. I made some cotton balls with Vaseline to start fires. They WOULD NOT BURN at that altitude. I think that is GOD'S way of telling you you are too high up. There is a reason the animals have 4 legs.

I did carry my recurve the entire time.

Comment

BTW. I did have a great time. I would like to hunt lower with a guide in a draw area next trip though. :-)

Comment

Although we all like to put critters in he cooler, I ain't all about the kill! I have been elk hunting 3 times and never even drawn back on an elk yet, but I would not trade those hunts for anything!

Glad y'all had a good time, Mike!

Bisch

Comment

Glad you had a good time.

Comment

If you can't have a good time without killing something you are in the wrong sport. Especially with trad gear.

I have been to the Rockies umpteen times. I has spent almost a month there the last three summers. But I have never seen the leaves turn in the fall. BEAUTIFUL.

It is hard to get a deer lease far enough out these days that you do not hear a highway, train or oil field work. The silence was GOLDEN.

It is hard to get far enough away from a town to see the Milky Way. MAJESTIC.

It was great to spend time with my son and have him help me to get on animals and guide me through the forest as I did for him when he was young.

Of all of the things mentioned above that are GODS gifts he was the best.

Comment

Dang Mike, I was hoping you would get one. I'm pretty sure the closest I've ever been to a heart attack was packing an elk out. What a job.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                  Dang Mike, I was hoping you would get one. I'm pretty sure the closest I've ever been to a heart attack was packing an elk out. What a job.
                  I had a cow work it's way from 350 yds to 100 yds to me. I was on a water hole. At near dark she turned and went up the mountain. I was as excited as I have ever been hunting.

As far as a heart attack my pack alone was enough. That air is thin!

Comment

It's good you didn't pass out, Chris would have to quarter you up to get you out.

Well at least you have another big hunt coming up to look forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by bm22 View Post
                      It's good you didn't pass out, Chris would have to quarter you up to get you out.

Well at least you have another big hunt coming up to look forward to.
                      Naw he said he would just roll me down the hill. It was steep enough.

The next hunt no matter how big or small gets me through the work week.

Comment

I love it! It does seem like all the elk are up on top during bow season and it can be brutal to get to them. Learning how to call them has helped our odds 10 fold but its still extremely difficult to get within range of one. But it is so much fun..

Comment

Originally posted by GUT_TRAIL View Post
                          I love it! It does seem like all the elk are up on top during bow season and it can be brutal to get to them. Learning how to call them has helped our odds 10 fold but its still extremely difficult to get within range of one. But it is so much fun..

We went late season in hopes that the bulls would bugle but they were not. Chris actually saw a couple of times where a hunter bugled and the bull took his cows and left.

Comment

Sounds like a good trip, anytime father and son can hunt together, I'm trying to plan someting for this year with my dad even if it's a doe hunt. I'd like to put him on his first bow kill.

BTW-I bet keeping up with Chris wasn't fun, I saw him a few weeks ago he looked ready to climb Everest.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                              Sounds like a good trip, anytime father and son can hunt together, I'm trying to plan someting for this year with my dad even if it's a doe hunt. I'd like to put him on his first bow kill.

BTW-I bet keeping up with Chris wasn't fun, I saw him a few weeks ago he looked ready to climb Everest.
                              Other than the well deserved ribbing he took it really easy on me. I think he was surprised that I could do ok on the level and down grades. The inclines not so much.........

Another hunter came up to him and said "You're the guy that we saw above timberline with the walking sticks. You were hauling butt, uphill. Man youre in good shape. You ought to be hunting 20 miles in."

I told him once, "I remember when I used to be in your kind of shape and looked like you." My wife piped in, "Chris your dad never looked like that."

Comment

Working...
                              X